Author Topic: Bow design idea with sinew  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Nasr

Bow design idea with sinew
« on: January 03, 2021, 07:47:33 pm »
I have very little experience with sinew backed bows and had this idea for a long time for a bow with sinew Ash core and ipe belly. Was thinking 55” maybe shorter 50@28” I have no idea if this would work. I have backed bows before but to be honest nothing much came from them and it was early on in my bow making journey. I have two questions

1 how much sinew would I need
2 would this even work?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Bow design idea with sinew
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 07:59:46 pm »
What is your thinking behind this design?  I.e. why build a bow this way instead of another way?

Would this be a recurve or a straight bow? 

Offline Nasr

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 08:12:40 pm »
I was thinking a pyramid style front profile and sharp static recurves. I was thinking it would start 1 3/8 and taper to 1/2 inch to start. Maybe reverse brace it while sinew dries but not introduce much reflex that way. I want most of the reflex to come from the static recurves.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 08:14:49 pm »
Is the statics are too much I can go with working recurves since it sinew it should hold the recurves.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 08:23:28 pm »
What do you expect this design to do/be that a simpler design couldn't accomplish?  If I were you I would build the bow longer unless I had a specific reason for making it short.  Longer bows are generally faster, smoother, more durable, and more accurate.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 08:29:25 pm »
The appeal would be making a short bow but that is about it. Also it’s something new I have limited experience building short sinew bows so it exciting to try something new. I will most likely prefer the longer bows that I make to this but it’s still something I want to try. I have made elb while knowing that it would never be my go to shooters but I still enjoyed the experience of making something new.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 08:36:44 pm »
Ipe is so stiff I would think it isn’t ideal for shorter designs unless the core/backing are relatively thin compared to longer bows. I’m sure it’s possible though. If this bow can do it unbacked in red oak, you can definitely do it with sinew. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,68157.msg957193.html#msg957193

Offline Nasr

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 08:45:06 pm »
Ipe is so stiff I would think it isn’t ideal for shorter designs unless the core/backing are relatively thin compared to longer bows. I’m sure it’s possible though. If this bow can do it unbacked in red oak, you can definitely do it with sinew. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,68157.msg957193.html#msg957193

Dude you are insane! That is some serious bend on that red oak bow. Honestly the appeal is in the short design.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 10:12:00 pm »
The bow I made for the 2016 trade was a Ipe /hickory/sinew tri-lam with sharp statics.  It was longer but the statics coil up the length considerably.  I made it extremely narrow because I was actually trying to duplicate a bow with quite a bit of follow.   

The combination of three materials is excellent.  It won't make any difference what you use for the mid-layer.   It's  mostly just to provide an intermediate and better surface than Ipe for the sinew.  Also sinew and Ipe are  a bit too extreme in characteristics so the hardwood functions as a buffer layer.