Author Topic: Stinky rawhide HELP  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Notnok

Stinky rawhide HELP
« on: December 31, 2020, 01:07:54 am »
I got one of those rawhide bones and I’ve rehydrated it. But it stiiiinks so badly, so much I don’t want to put it on my bow.

How do I remove the odour?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 06:32:56 am by Pappy »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Stinky ass rawhide HELP
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 06:32:28 am »
Just wash it out with some good soap.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: Stinky ass rawhide HELP
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 06:33:48 am »
You can wash it with dawn dish soap.  Is it pretty thick? If its too thick you can stretch it and let it dry then scrape it with a knife or something to thin it

Offline monoloco

Re: Stinky rawhide HELP
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 07:31:54 am »
I honestly don't know how many form members hunt and/or live in rural areas, but I know in my case, I always seem to have a surplus of deer hides.  Most folks I know who hunt and processes their own meat, toss out an incredible pile of materials: antlers not deemed worthy of saving, bones, hides, sinew, etc.  I see our roadsides littered with discard piles and it drives me crazy.  I'd encourage anyone who doesn't have access to harvested materials to reach out to a hunt club or perhaps a neighbor who'd be happy to hook you up with a skin.  And if just going for rawhide, the process is pretty easy...

I suspect you're going after rawhide chew for convenience, but it's a pet peeve of mine to see hides go to waste so thought I'd mention it...

BTW I often degrease with a soak in borax (20 mule team stuff) followed by dish detergent.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 08:30:12 am »
I feel the same way Monoloco. I've gotten a number of hides from folks and used them to make rawhide and braintan leather. Made some nice thin rawhide from a young doe, with no scars, many years ago and still have enough left to back a handful of bows.

Went to the local deer processor and had him save the legs for me, then cut the tendons out of them all. It was a LOT of sinew. I bet he would have given me a hide or two if I asked. You're right, making rawhide is pretty easy.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 11:29:32 am »
yes if you wash it and glue it on, the smell will go away, after you put a finish on it,,it will have little smell at all

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 11:35:45 am »
If it stinks that much then maybe it's starting to rot in which case it may not be suitable for backing.  You should cut a strip and test it for strength
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline maitus

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 12:57:10 pm »
This is bacteria that produce this odor. Put a few drops of formalin into washing water and this odor will be gone. Formalin kills bacteria. You can also use any other disinfectant.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 04:23:59 pm »
Stinky rawhide, might be flavoring if its from a dog chew.