Author Topic: How narrow can I make a D bow handle?  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Nasr

How narrow can I make a D bow handle?
« on: December 10, 2020, 08:47:43 pm »
I have a hickory stave that is 58 inches long and want to make a bow out of. I don’t really like the bendy handle designs because I like to make my handles thin. I was wondering how thin I can make the bow handle since it’s only 58 inches long. I can splice some tips on the end of the stave and just make a stiff handle bow but my band saw broke and I don’t feel like I would do a good job free hand.

Offline M2A

Re: How narrow can I make a D bow handle?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 09:58:46 pm »
I don't like to go thinner than 1.25 inches in the handle of a bendy although with hickory I usually go for 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 and never tried thinner.
Mike   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 10:07:56 pm »
If you make the handle area thicker you can narrow the handle and still have it bend into the handle if not through it. There are some Eastern Woodland style bows with narrowed handle areas. That way you can keep the limb width for such a short bow or you will over strain it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 09:30:35 am »
I’ve made hickory D bows that were 1 1/8” wide that pulled 70+# with 1” of permanent set or less. But they were also longer to make up for the fact it was narrower and thicker. They still shot quick for being so long. But a bit of a thump to go with it. I also frequently narrow the handle section a bit. Just make sure you don’t make it bend my hon the handle when you do, think more of an elliptical tiller with the handle just moving if you narrow it. Or you will quickly see lots of set in the handle if you get it moving much.
From what I’ve seen you should be able to go 1 1/4” wide through the limbs and narrow to 1” handle if you want under 45# at 27” draw. 1 1/2” wide with a 1” handle for between 50-60# at 27”. With a good heat treat and a good tiller. You can shift weight and draw weight from there. Essentially the shorter the draw length you intend to pull it the higher the pull weight you can go. And conversely if you intend to pull further you’ll need to lower the intended draw weight for the same width.

Kyle

Offline Nasr

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 04:07:13 pm »
Appreciate the advice I will go ahead with the D bow design and see how it works out. I have enough thickness for the handle area about 1.5 “ thick and 1 3/4” wide limbs. So plenty of room to work with. I  am thinking of leaving the handle area stiff till the very end then introduce some bending to get my draw length

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 06:00:32 pm »
the only thing i can ad is just make your fade to handle transition well drawn out, if its to abrupt it can be a potential weak point.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 08:36:03 pm »
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. On stiff handle bows I would do about 2 to 2.5 inches for the fades. I am thinking more like 4 on this one or enough where I wouldn’t be able to see any corners. But since it gonna be around 1.5 inches maybe 4 is overkill. We will see will post some pictures.