Author Topic: hickory stave rot?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline ShorterJ

hickory stave rot?
« on: December 09, 2020, 04:39:51 pm »
This is my first time posting and first time making a bow.  I got a hickory stave from my uncle which has been seasoning in a shed for about 4 years. I have the bow cut to shape and there are several dark brown streaks just underneath the top layer of sapwood down the length of the bow.  Is this some sort of rot or nothing to worry about?  If it is bad should I cut underneath that layer? I’m worried I don’t have enough wood on the belly to do that.  I tried to attach pictures.  Thanks for any input.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Re: hickory stave rot?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 08:42:34 pm »
Is this a side view?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline ShorterJ

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 09:16:56 pm »
Yes this is a side view. I still have the cambium on. I’ll post a different angle as well.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 09:33:16 am »
Does not look like rot to me, but it is most likely not good. I cut into a lot of hickory, and I have just this week seen dark streaks like that suddenly reveal a large bark pocket just going in a 1/4"  more. That being said I have also seen it clear up going in a little further. I cannot stand how much people like to say "i would never use that" lol so that is certainly not what I am saying. If it is only a slight blemish in that growth ring then the tree most likely adjusted for it and if it is not coming through to the outer layer then it may be  fine. I'd encourage you to tiller her out! But that is what I always think.. especially with hickory

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 09:43:58 am »
I also think it’s an injury in the tree that the tree healed around leaving a bark pocket. If it was mine, I would probably “decrown” to just below that pocket paying attention to the grain lines if there is enough thickness there. I believe that the material in that area will crumble when you start flexing the limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 01:09:51 pm »
It does look like an old injury. I would get below it and keep on building.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 01:27:03 pm »
I have run across this in hickory prior.. not that big though.. gut

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 04:09:30 pm »
Not knowing where that damage is located or where that knot is located, I’d say, save that stave until you get a few bows under your belt. Try to find a “clean” stave or a good board for your first attempt. It’s hard enough to get a shooter on the first one, without dealing with Mother Nature’s challenges.
H

Offline ShorterJ

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 06:26:45 pm »
Thank you all for your input.  I have decided to go down into the good wood, and now I am working on fixing up the back.  It is a little more thin in some places than I’d like before tillering but I’ll see what happens.  It may be a bust, but I’m gonna go through with it.  Thanks again everyone!

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 08:34:41 pm »
At least with hickory you can get pretty thin and still have a usable bow. Especially if you heat treat the belly. Which I would highly recommend