Author Topic: Using rawhide.  (Read 975 times)

Offline Mafort

Using rawhide.
« on: November 08, 2020, 05:48:23 am »
Hey everyone just a quick question about rawhide so I know I’m not gunna mess this up. I’m looking to apply rawhide to the back of a hickory bow for added protection. Sadly the only rawhide j have is a dog bone that’s made with thick cow rawhide. So my actual question is can I literally glue this thick piece or rawhide onto the back of the bow and then use my belt sander to thin it down to the desired thickness? Is there a better way to do it other than that? I really don’t want to have to buy rawhide backings commercially.

Offline PatM

Re: Using rawhide.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 06:39:23 am »
  It's better to thin it from the flesh side before gluing it down.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 06:47:58 am »
So is there a way to tell which side is the flesh side of the rawhide from a chew like that?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 04:52:04 pm »
You have rawhide strips on the way. Why not use those?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 06:16:56 pm »
I am on a different project. The dogs fight over this huge rawhide bone my girlfriend bought them. Soo effectively means they can’t have it cause they’re food aggressive. So I’m gunna use it to back a bow. I’ve just never done rawhide backing before. Done sinew and raw flax but never rawhide.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 06:34:36 pm »
So is there a way to tell which side is the flesh side of the rawhide from a chew like that?

The flesh side will have remnants of membrane.  The skin side will be more uniform and show hair pores that are fairly visible.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 07:06:00 pm »
If I can ask a related question? How do you get the rawhide flat enough to sand it? I can see myself sanding a hole everywhere there was a ripple or lump.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 10:20:08 pm »
Soak it and press it flat to dry.