Author Topic: pawpaw wood?  (Read 8268 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

pawpaw wood?
« on: April 30, 2008, 08:25:45 am »
Has anyone ever used pawpaw wood to build a bow? This may not be the correct name for this tree but thats what everyone here calls it. It has a green fruit that tastes kinda like a banana if i remember right. If anyone could give info I would appreciate it as I may have a tree to cut into staves.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: pawpaw wood?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:52:01 am »
Cut it down if you must....it makes good Bow Wood......I made one Bow from it...and still have one Stave in the Garage....nice Whitewood....and Springy too....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 09:35:23 am »
This one has just been pushed up out of my uncle's yard so it's gonna die anyways . I did'nt wanna let it waste if it would make a bow. I would'nt cut down a fruit tree when i've got other hardwoods.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 09:38:40 am »
The Indiana banana. Never used it but would give it a try.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »
If you don't want it....cut it....split it.....and trade it.......I'll take a Piece....and I am sure the rest would go too.....It does make a Nice Bow....like they say....if it's a tree....and it bears fruit....It'll make a Bow
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 09:30:02 am »
What kind of width would i be lookin at for a 50lbs bow from pawpaw? Is it brittle or fairly elastic ? 
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 10:26:29 pm »
I made a Wampanoag Bow out of it....2 inches wide and 68 inches long....1 1/4" in the Handle.....It turned out to be 55 pounds at 28 inches
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 12:19:43 am »
heck ifn you wanna cut it and get rid of a stave i would be willing to take one ifn we could work something out
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 12:31:32 am »
I'm gonna go cut it up tomorrow rain or shine. Thanks everyone for your advice. Sailordad let me finally get your hickory to you first. I'm dependable just not always fast. ;D ;) By the way i'm gonna finally send you that stave tomorrow the boss promised we're having a pick up.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 01:04:54 am »
I'm gonna go cut it up tomorrow rain or shine. Thanks everyone for your advice. Sailordad let me finally get your hickory to you first. I'm dependable just not always fast. ;D ;) By the way i'm gonna finally send you that stave tomorrow the boss promised we're having a pick up.

Whadda about me......I talked you into cutting it up!!!!!!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 08:01:22 am »
I wasnt forgetting you destructo. I'll see what the tree splits out to I'd like to keep one stave. The rest I can share. ;D It's getting bout time for me to cut some more trees. Whens the best time to cut hedge? I never cut it never worked it besides knife scales.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 09:19:06 am »
The best time to cut Hedge.........any time that you can get to cut Hedge is a good time!!!!! The only difference is......now it will peel easy.....but it will bleed like mad too....and it is like a Rubber Tree....all that sticky white Milk...looks like Elmer's Glue!!!...I like to cut it in the late Fall when the Sap is down....but it is just because it makes less of a Mess.....the Old Ones would only cut it when the Sap was down....they said that this was the only time it would make a good Bow....but I don't go that far....as soon as the Sap starts to run....and the Buds begin to fatten up on the Branches....I start to cut my Hardwoods....but thats just me

Hey if this Wood I just cut turns out good.....I will trade you a stave for one of yours......deal????
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline catfishon

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 12:07:32 am »
guys i have a woods full of paw paw trees . but they dont get real big . a 6" trunk would be a biggun. do you think it better than hickory? i have lots of that also. i may do some trading if anyone is wanting paw paw.

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 01:04:51 am »
Well i said rain or shine but it was really pourin this afternoon so maybe tomorrow. :-[ It's gonna be a bear to get to he pushed it up in a pile so i'm gonna have to work for this one.
Wayne Silverthorn