Author Topic: How do I protect my longbow from arrow fletching?  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Abby H

How do I protect my longbow from arrow fletching?
« on: October 09, 2020, 07:57:28 pm »
Over the summer I sanded and refinished my grandma's old longbows, and they turned out great! I have yet to put a grip on one of them, but otherwise both are in great condition.
However, when I started shooting the one without a grip, I noticed that the arrows left shallow scores in the finish, and even started cutting into the wood. I used Deft satin clear wood finish, and it looks/works great on the other bow, and I haven't noticed any nicking or dents. But for some reason the finish is a bit softer on the gripless bow in general.
What should I use to protect the area around the handle? Should I refinish the bow with a different substance, or should I reinforce it with something else?

Offline TimBo

Re: How do I protect my longbow from arrow fletching?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 08:21:30 pm »
It might be good to add a strike plate.  You wouldn't necessarily need to do a grip if you don't want.  Does it have any kind of built up rest or cut-in shelf?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 09:22:43 pm »
Welcome to PA, Sluggabea
Will you post pics of Grandma's bow? Pics make it easier to understand the problem.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Abby H

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 09:41:25 pm »
@TimBo The handle is straight but the old leather grip had a built in shelf. I plan on putting a leather wrap on it as it is slightly to slender for my taste, so a strike plate is very doable

@Pat the bows are not at my house so I can't get pictures immediately. Will try to get some tomorrow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 10:12:33 pm »
Check the leading edges of the feathers on your arrows to make sure they are not sharp. They should be smooth to the touch and angled or skyvde.

Also, if the arrows are over spined they'll be whacking the side of the bow but you would hear a clicking noise in that case

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 10:32:01 pm »
What George said.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Abby H

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 11:31:18 pm »
@George and Jim That could be it. I haven't bought a proper set of arrows yet so I've been using some spare arrows that are a bit stiff for its draw weight. The other bow has a much higher draw weight so the spares work well with it, which might be why that one hasn't had any problems.

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 01:46:54 am »
Your arrows are too stiff.
Add a piece of leather as well sorting out the arrows.