Author Topic: Question about bow staves  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Jacob1

Question about bow staves
« on: September 08, 2020, 02:58:27 pm »
Is 42.55 a good price for an Osage bow stave ?

Offline PaSteve

Re: Question about bow staves
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 03:06:41 pm »
Depends on the quality but that is very reasonable if it'll make a bow.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Jacob1

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 03:28:16 pm »
Ok it had pictures from every angle and it didn’t look like it had any knots or bends

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 05:16:18 pm »
How long is it?

Offline Jacob1

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 06:02:15 pm »
49 inches

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 06:27:26 pm »
Yeah, I would call that a billet. I've noticed in the last little while that the newer guys seem to be trying to make bows out of short staves. I don't know if this is the reason. They are more available. To make a nice shooting smooth bow I would say don't use anything less than 60", 66" is better. If you have the experience you can definitely do it but it will be a short draw bow.
Rant mode off ;D ;D

Offline Jacob1

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 06:44:23 pm »
Ok I didn’t know that’s thank you for saving me 40 dollars

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 07:42:23 pm »
That's only half a bow.  Being a beginner I would suggest a stave at least 66" long depending on your draw length.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Jacob1

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 08:10:06 pm »
Ok thx

Offline Morgan

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 08:59:56 pm »
Jacob, if I remember right you are from Virginia Beach? It is my understanding that ipe is a popular decking material in coastal / beach front areas. Ipe makes a real good bow when backed with bamboo or hickory. I bought 3 1X6 boards shipped to me for $60 I believe a couple years ago. More than half that cost was shipping. You may have a local source for ipe and bamboo. If so, you have inexpensive ingredients for a top shelf bow at your disposal.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 09:41:30 pm »
I did a quick google search that came Up with many sources of ipe near you. A 1x6 x 6 deck board will give you 3 bow staves if you can get some boo to back it with. Lots of folks on here have done many boo backed bows and have a wealth of knowledge at your disposal. Mr. Krewson has done a ton and is very generous with his knowledge. If you go with ipe, be warned, the stuff is hard as a rock, and not good to breathe the dust so wear a mask or something.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 06:55:41 am »
If the "stave is 4" wide it would be a good deal because you could cut it into two billets and make a bow with the right length.

Offline Jacob1

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 07:29:42 am »
Well I have several lumber suppliers and a local woodcraft store which has a ton of exotic hardwoods  I found a place for ipe but still looking for bamboo would bamboo board work as a backing or should I try to find slats
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 07:48:06 am by Jacob1 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 08:13:47 am »
Jacob, for ease of construction I would suggest either hickory or hard maple for a backing strip for an ipe bow. Cutting or having a backing cut to 3/16" thick will yield a 1/8" or slightly less backing strip after dressing both surfaces. You can use TBIII glue and bands made from discarded bicycle tire tubes as your clamps. Once you get better at building you can graduate to a more progressive design and boo backings. Steve width of 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" is plenty for a backed ipe bow. Be sure the backing boards have the appropriate grain configuration.
Also, both hickory and maple boards will make a good selfbow or a simple backed bow using rawhide, silk, linen or other soft backings. You can get both silk and linen from your local thrift store in the way of old blouses and neck ties. Again appropriate grain for these selfbows is necessary.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 01:09:16 pm »
   Some of the Native style bows were shorter, I think as people become interested in Native style bows,,,, they make shorter bows to see how they shoot,, not recommending any style bow,, this guy was a chief,, he probably does not feel he is holding half a bow,, or that his draw is short,, just a different perspective,, just depends on what kind of bow you want,,
   as suggested,, a longer stave might be better to start with,, but a nice shooting bow can be made from a 49 inch stave,,