Author Topic: Preferred thickness for hickory backing  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Flntknp17

Preferred thickness for hickory backing
« on: September 11, 2020, 03:15:38 pm »
Easy question for you all (hopefully).  I am planning on backing an osage board with a hickory slat.  I plan to cut my hickory slats from hickory lumber.  I have made a lot of osage bows, and a lot of hickory bows.....but I have not made a hickory backed osage bow for unknown reasons.  What is the ideal thickness for the hickory?  I plan on making a conservatively designed longbow 66" and 1.75" wide at the fades and ~50@27.  All thoughts are appreciated. 

Thanks

Matt

Offline willie

Re: Preferred thickness for hickory backing
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 04:06:28 pm »
All thoughts are appreciated
I suppose knowing why you want to add a hickory back might make a difference. Are you hoping for some gains?

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 04:11:23 pm »
I am backing because the osage is a board stave and will require backing.  I bought a large osage board last month and sawed it into lumber staves.  I’ve done this same thing before with bamboo and osage boards, just haven’t used hickory for it before. 

Matt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 04:20:38 pm »
I cut hickory backing strips at 3/16" thick. After dressing both surfaces it usually ends up at 1/8" or slightly less. And, you don't need 1.75" for a 66" osage bow. 1 3/8" to 1 5/8" is plenty enough for a 66" long 50@26" osage bow. Add about 4" of Perry reflex at glue up and end up with 1" of reflex to a flat bow after shooting it in.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 04:26:13 pm »
Thanks.  I use a standard perry reflex of 3” for most all my board bows and it seems to work out prett well.  The start out 1.75, but I often do some shaping and sculpting and symmetry adjustments so they end up a little less.  I’m making a bow for a compound shooting buddy who’s interested in longbows so I’m just going for durability and stability 😄

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 04:30:09 pm »
Hickory backed osage makes a great bow and a lot easier to make than boo backed bows. I've made many over the years. I actually prefer hickory as a backing material. Less work and for me more durable.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 12:03:38 am »
Hickory thickness - 3/16ths to a 1/4"

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 04:20:03 am »
2x