Author Topic: Leave sapwood on elm?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Leave sapwood on elm?
« on: September 07, 2020, 09:54:35 am »
I’ve got a haul of elm I’m starting to carve on.  It’s only about six months since I harvested it, so I’m gonna reduce a stave to dry it out quicker.  Should I chase a ring in the heartwood, or leave some sapwood on the back?

I can’t use the outer ring on this stave since I damaged it some with a sledge.  By the way, if you have a choice between splitting elm and getting root canal, I recommend the latter.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Leave sapwood on elm?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 10:30:33 am »
Hmmm!  Where have I heard that advice before!  Luckily, what elm I have around looks more like firewood, than bow wood! (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 10:50:32 am »
Elm is excellent bow wood. Use sapwood for the back.
Years ago I made a 60" t/t elm static recurve that was all sapwood. I did a build along if you can find it. Elm loves belly tempering too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 03:05:29 pm »
I’ve had to chase elm rings because of bug damage. It’s not easy but it’s a breeze compared to splitting the stuff. A sharp knife helps a lot. The dull knife trick doesn’t really work without crunchy early wood to bite into

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 03:20:03 pm »
I’ve had to chase elm rings because of bug damage. It’s not easy but it’s a breeze compared to splitting the stuff. A sharp knife helps a lot. The dull knife trick doesn’t really work without crunchy early wood to bite into
I just chased a ring, 3 or 4 down, and it was a breeze on this stave — only took about 20 min with a semi-sharp draw knife.  Anyway, it was way easier than the hickory I worked on last.  I have about 1/4” of sapwood with a good growth ring now, and got it roughed out, so I’ll go with that.  I’ll throw it in my hot attic and monitor the weight until it stabilizes.  Might try a recurve based on Pat’s experience.

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 03:33:03 pm »
Get bark off and seal. Bugs will eat up elm in a heart beat.

Curf cut it then split! Blind splitting interlocking grain is no fun unless its about 10 degrees outside and then it suks purty much.

Have to be careful with fresh elm staves dry it to fast it will turn inside out on you. Cut in fall let moisture eek out slow for a few months then take to a dryer shelter.

In small dia can make a bow almost in same week if you need to.

Hedge

MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 04:12:28 pm »
Get bark off and seal. Bugs will eat up elm in a heart beat.

Curf cut it then split! Blind splitting interlocking grain is no fun unless its about 10 degrees outside and then it suks purty much.

Have to be careful with fresh elm staves dry it to fast it will turn inside out on you. Cut in fall let moisture eek out slow for a few months then take to a dryer shelter.

In small dia can make a bow almost in same week if you need to.

Hedge
Thanks for the tips, Shawn. 

Mother Nature chose the timing on this tree — she knocked it down in April.  Good news is that the bark popped right off.  But I burned up a ton of calories splitting it.  Anyway, I got a bunch of large staves (6”+ wide) into my shed, sealed the ends, and sprayed ‘em with borax.  No sign of bugs 6 months in.  So far, so good.

Offline HH~

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 06:41:24 pm »
Good you left them large. Give til Nov then cut em in two with bandsaw.

I guarantee you wont break an elm stikbow. I have one that has prolly 500k shots. It gets spongy is hot humid weather. Put it attic for three four days it ready for another 50k shots.

Yes, makes a lively static recurve.

Shawn
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW