Author Topic: Serving  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Serving
« on: September 08, 2020, 07:50:16 pm »
When making your own bowstring, how important is it to have serving at the nock point?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline HH~

Re: Serving
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 08:35:16 pm »
Nock fit is pretty important.

HH
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 08:37:23 pm »
Serving on a bowstring has several purposes.  #1 is to protect the actual string material from the arrow nock and from your finger contact on the string while shooting the arrow.  #2 is to protect the actual string material from contact with your arm/armguard as the string is released while shooting.  If you decide to shoot a bowstring without serving be prepared to observe fraying of the bowstring very quickly.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 10:17:38 pm »
When I have been testing a new bow I have noticed the string starting to fray after only 10-15 shots. I use 60# braided fishing line. It's treated with a non wear coating of some kind.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 11:20:55 pm »
I agree with Jimmi and Hedge, the serving extends string life tremendously and is easier to repair!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 01:33:25 am »
How many strings have you seen without a serving......? :)

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 05:52:05 am »
Very many. Serving strings is a modern thing.   While it's a good idea it is not crucial.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 08:44:12 am »
If it wears that fast from fingers and nocks do most people serve their loops as well?

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 09:31:40 am »
A continuous loop string has served loops but a Flemish twist doesn't because the loops are already double thickness.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 09:40:34 am »

A continuous loop string has served loops but a Flemish twist doesn't because the loops are already double thickness.

I don't know why I don't think things through before I speak(write) that makes perfect sense

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 09:57:40 am »

I don't know why I don't think things through before I speak(write) that makes perfect sense

That's not really  "why"  though.   A  continuous  loop needs them served to  actually hold them together. It's loops are half thickness.

A Flemish doesn't have double thickness loops, it's only double through the splice.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 10:14:45 am »
...and it's twisted through out the string, loop(s)included.
 I have a partial spool of red #4 Brownell serving and a serving tool I will trade to you. Send me a PM with your mailing address(US only) and what you have to trade. I may even have a partial spool of B-50 if you need that too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 10:21:57 am »

That's not really  "why"  though.   A  continuous  loop needs them served to  actually hold them together. It's loops are half thickness.

A Flemish doesn't have double thickness loops, it's only double through the splice.
It's double compared the the continuous ;D ;D ;D

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 10:53:53 am »
...and it's twisted through out the string, loop(s)included.
 I have a partial spool of red #4 Brownell serving and a serving tool I will trade to you. Send me a PM with your mailing address(US only) and what you have to trade. I may even have a partial spool of B-50 if you need that too.

That's really nice of you Pat but I don't really have anything to trade, I've just been buying what I need one tool at a time. I have two 1/4lb spools of B55 for my string. When the time comes I'll buy some serving or try fishing line like DC did.  ;D