Author Topic: Will this Ash piece work as backing or core with Ipe  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Tommy D

Will this Ash piece work as backing or core with Ipe
« on: July 21, 2020, 07:43:40 am »
Two questions for those in the know...

1) does ash work as a backing with Ipe instead of bamboo.

2) would ash work as a core in a trilam with bamboo and Ipe.

This assumes an ash board with straight grain lines on all sides and no runout...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 02:29:01 pm by Tommy D »

Offline PatM

Re: Ash - as backing or core with Ipe
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 09:27:00 am »
Yes and yes.

Offline Tommy D

Re: Ash - as backing or core with Ipe
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 01:05:10 pm »
Thoughts on this piece - found in friends shed.

Also thinking of making a couple of board bows for his kids with it as a thank you if it’s suitable ...

I have never made a board bow or picked lumber ... so only going on instructions about grain without run off.

This is 4”x4” by 8 feet

Offline Hamish

Re: Will this Ash piece work as backing or core with Ipe
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 04:26:18 pm »
You have some run out on the ash, but its  an 8ft board so you might have a straight enough 6ft  length.

You could rip the 4 x 4 into 2@ 2 x2, and work down to one growth ring, like a stave bow, then re saw into a  backing(with a bandsaw), glue it on to the ipe.
Its a lot of work, but  it is a sure fire way of getting a safe backing. The technique was commonly used with ash, and elm by European old time bowyers.

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 01:36:10 am »
Yes a one growth ring backing is a nice way to go :)
It would likely work as is if you cut the strip out following the grain to reduce runout.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 01:27:02 am »

You could rip the 4 x 4 into 2@ 2 x2, and work down to one growth ring, like a stave bow, then re saw into a  backing(with a bandsaw), glue it on to the ipe.
Its a lot of work, but  it is a sure fire way of getting a safe backing. The technique was commonly used with ash, and elm by European old time bowyers.

Would you keep the contour of the ring/ back and just flatten the underside to be glued up?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 07:28:34 am »
If you are going to use one ring for the backing, leave the natural shape of the back, don't flatten it. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 01:14:43 am »
If you are going to use one ring for the backing, leave the natural shape of the back, don't flatten it.

I think he meant do you flatten the gluing face and yes you would :)

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 06:48:57 am »
So we had a fun day with an old friend making two bows for his kids from that ash board. Did not chase a ring. Just lined them up with as little run out as possible.

Both are 48 inches long, Stiff handled (I think we made handle too big) - the heavier one draws 21 lbs at 20” and the lighter one is 15lbs at 20”.

My buddy got a bit enthusiastic with his battery operated Makita planner (if mention of that means this gets move to the Campfire section like posts that mention that other non-primitive bow building material so be it!!) - but it was a good lesson for him in bow building. It thinned one tip far too much and meant we had a hinge to deal with and a bow that had one far stronger limb! I piked the hinged limb slightly and made it the bottom limb and then we tillered it out so it was all even and the hinge was gone. The Gizmo worked wonders in helping explain the process. Then just for a bit of fun we heat treated over the bbq and strung the bow backwards and let it cool a few hours. It took 3 inches of backset.  It jumped the draw weight from 12.5 lbs to 15 lbs and the bow has zero string follow. So all in all a good learning experience.

I’ve left my buddy with a 72 inch piece of the ash that I cut out as a 2” wide pyramid flat bow. Also gave him a copy of TBB1.

Was a fun day out!