Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Tiller check
« on: July 21, 2020, 07:46:23 pm »
I have been working on this bow for the bow trade, got impatient one time and lost a lot of leeway so I want to cross check what I think with you guys.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tiller check
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 08:47:12 pm »
Russell, the right limb looks stiff right off the fade and also the outer 1/3 of the limb. The left limb looks stiff off the fade too but also mid limb. The fact that the unbraced profile is flat shows me you didn't over stress the limbs as you tillered. Keep it up.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 09:20:05 pm »
Is the tip on the left deflexed a bit?  That would drive me crazy, and would be easy to heat out...maybe it's just the camera angle or background though.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 03:34:46 am »
Right is stiff at the fade, but weak after that and stiff in the outer 1/3
Pic shows my take on it... left is pretty good, so I may be off in my view...??
Letters indicate strong/weak (yeah I know it's obvious, but it's good practice to explain one's annotation  :-[ and the red/yellow is just chosen to show up best against the background)
Del
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 03:45:28 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 07:07:25 am »

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 06:48:51 pm »
well, i try to work with what i got. yes the tip is deflexed, i tried to make a tillering gizmo but it didnt work out  well and i have no way of keeping the bow bent while i use the gizmo. anyway here it is now. i hope i didnt mess it up  :-[  bow building has gotten kind of stressful for me lately...

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 06:56:40 pm »
yup new the right was bending too much in the middle.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 08:23:36 pm »
That looks better!  Don't get stressed - this is supposed to be fun.  I don't work on bows when stressed (although I also take FOREVER to finish one...).

For using a tillering gizmo or straight edge, I use a spare bit of wood - I think it is about 1"x3" and about 18" long - with scooped out (concave) ends - to sort of prop the bow open.  Holding it at that draw length won't damage anything.  I'm pretty sure I got the idea from Pearl Drums.  Make sure the end where the string sits is very smooth!  It's just like a tillering stick with one setting, so of course you could just use one of those at around 18".  It needs to bend a bit for those methods to show much.

Online stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 03:47:08 am »
I use a tillering stick, just a piece of 2x1 with one end slightly hollowed for a bow to sit in and then notches cut in every 2 inches. I have a piece of scrap wood pinned to the hollow to form a lip to stop the bow being pulled off the end which should also have a leather or rubber pad (mine doesn't)
By notching the string into the stick the bow stays drawn and you have your hands free to run a straight edge along the bow and colour in high spots or label low spots to avoid. You can also turn the bow around or step back
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 03:53:34 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 07:45:48 am »
it's pretty easy to just stand next to the tree, grab the pull rope up close, pull the rope to the desired draw length, hold, and mark both limbs at the same time before letting off the rope...   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Azmdted

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 09:39:05 am »
I have a set up similar to Deerhunter's, except my down piece is a 2x4.  I drilled half inch holes in it every two inches and then use a 3" piece of half inch dowel to make a peg at the length I want.  I just pull the strong down, set it below the peg, quickly gizmo it, and then relax the string.  Remove the peg, set it in a hole I drilled in the side so I don't lose it and keep going.  I believe a 2x piece of wood is required to make sure that it has the strength to hold the peg.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 03:46:15 pm »
I use this;

Offline turkey4me

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 07:29:05 am »
I'm learning quite a bit from your project.   Looking good.   I'm really curious what the two black circles are above  your stairs?

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 05:32:40 pm »
coat hangers lol