Author Topic: wood ID Please  (Read 797 times)

Offline Mad Max

wood ID Please
« on: July 25, 2020, 07:13:48 pm »
I hit this with the lawn mower next to a Antique store , they do have some odd pieces of wood laying around.
It's 9" long x 1-1/4 Round and weights 10 oz, it's very heavy for the size.
My fathers business was making Pull down folding attic ladders, we always had fat pine to start our fires but this is not pine.
It's very sappy not sticky and is very  fragrant and has close rings.
I don't think it is Sassafras ????

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 07:37:15 pm by Mad Max »
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: wood ID Please
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 09:53:29 pm »
Mark, that looks like a fat lighter faggot, basically where a limb connects to the trunk with all the sapwood rotted off. See if you can light the piece that was chopped off. It should light easily and smoke pretty heavily. Faggots were used for torches.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 05:19:03 am »
Yeah that was the first thing I did, lit right up and started spitting and black smoke ;)
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 06:48:38 am »
It from either a long leaf yellow pine or Loblolly pine, them big old pines we used to have around the south.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC