Author Topic: Cascara staves  (Read 1216 times)

Offline MotherGoose

Cascara staves
« on: June 13, 2020, 10:21:16 pm »
Hey all finally harvested some bow staves in hopes to build my first bow. Found some cascara that looks to be decent I hope. Question is how long do these need to season before I can get to work? I’ll try and post some pics.  )-w(

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cascara staves
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 06:33:37 am »
The first thing you need to do is seal the backs and ends. I've never used cascara but I'd select oner stave and reduce it to floor tiller stage and start checking the weight as it dries.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline MotherGoose

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 11:23:59 am »
Ok right on thanks for the advice... (SH)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 01:03:08 pm »
Roughly translated we call the family of those Trees dirty Trees and the one that's growing here have different names, one of Them is Arrow Wood. I guess its good Wood for bows

Offline MotherGoose

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 03:06:26 pm »
I’m sure it’s not the best bow wood but I figured it’s straight and for a first bow it’s plenty good  :BB

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 04:19:35 pm »
There's a few guys on here that make Cascara bows. Do a search on Google for "Primitive Archer Cascara".

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 05:23:51 pm »
  I have made several cascaraa bows, all of them just straight stiff handled long bows. Decent wood slightly brittle if I remember right.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 10:35:22 pm »
Burnish the back well will help. I personally like the wood.....compare it to red cedar in workability (super easy to work) high crowns will tend to be more prone to blow, but it can be done. The flatter the better (larger trees) Really good wood for lamination, simple backing hickory, oak, ash, or maple, keep backing thin for best results.

Brian
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.