Author Topic: Flight bow dimensions  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Tommy D

Flight bow dimensions
« on: June 05, 2020, 03:06:08 pm »
So I would also like to try and glue up a bamboo backed Ipe Flight Bow over the weekend. Never done one before. I am looking for some suggestions on something that will fling a light arrow impressively far - but will keep doing it repeatedly - so nothing to break records - just something for people to go “oh wow - I had no idea a stick and string can shoot that far!” I am happy to pull something up to 70 lbs if that helps launch an arra! Not partial to any particular style or design - other than I have bamboo and Ipe, GFlex epoxy, a bandsaw, a belt sander and a hot box to work with....

Offline PatM

Re: Flight bow dimensions
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 03:15:24 pm »
 Hard to beat an old school flight design.  Very short static and short arrows.

About four feet long with small sharply bent hooks.  You'll have to splice them in though  which will take a bit longer than a weekend.   You could always glue up a longer design and then retro-fit tips the following week.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 03:31:58 pm »
Thanks - and what draw length would one aim for with that? And what length tips? I’ll do a bit of research - been looking to make more static recurves anyways.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 06:10:17 pm »
About 23 inches.  Four inch tips.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 09:02:45 am »
Its interesting to me,, the average Siox arrow was 23 inches,,

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 09:21:42 am »
Have not figured flight out yet. But not 67” long with 2” reflex and pyramid. Works good for broadheads.   Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 10:29:11 am »
Have not figured flight out yet. But not 67” long with 2” reflex and pyramid. Works good for broadheads.   Arvin

Haha - yes - trying to send a barrel tapered super light arrow 250 yards gonna be a whole new challenge to lobbing a 750 grain arrow FOC arrow 15 yards!!

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 03:06:51 pm »
The average Souix plains horse  bow was 40 inches long give or take, and they braced their bows low,low,low, and pulled to their chest on horse back, and shot pinch finger. With their bow arm they pushed forward,and pulled the string ,and arrow out of their pinch finger grip. That is to Brad. Off topic. Sorry.

Offline bassman

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 06:26:32 am »
Check out Bow explosion on your web search .The  builder will show many of his short draw, short length flight bows made from different woods with small differences in design. He gives arrow weights, bow poundage, distance the arrows travel ete,etc,etc, . Most are short with some type of static tips. Interesting site.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 11:33:25 pm »
Thanks - Interesting site - so much info there!