Author Topic: Epoxy mistake  (Read 1776 times)

Offline DC

Re: Epoxy mistake
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 09:27:16 am »
I've never had any trouble using the hypos. I leave them loaded on my workbench. I can't blame the hypos for this screw up. This was me. That said, using scales would be a little tidier and would free up a little space on my bench. I talked to the West tech guys a while back and I think I remember them saying that 10% was close enough but don't quote me ;)

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 11:12:35 am »
From their spec page:   It is 5:1 by volume and 5.19:1 by weight with an acceptable range of  4.83:1   to 6.20:1.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2020, 12:10:47 pm »
never used epoxy on bows but for surfboards I had issues for not mixing well enough resin and hardener even if ratio was correct

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 03:56:44 pm »
I would recommend buying a grain scale to mix small batches of epoxy. Epoxy is incredibly sensitive to getting the mix exactly right. I believe something as small as 3% off can cause problems. So the smaller the batch the more likely that any measuring mistakes, unmixed hardener left in the syringe etc will be amplified.

Thanks for that Tommy :D I knew the scale was a better way but I thought my hypos were close enough. I've done the last 4 little jobs using my scales. A couple were just 50 grains and they all hardened almost glass like. I'm going to use the hypos for something else. I just needed a little kick in the butt.