Author Topic: Draw length weirdness  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Draw length weirdness
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 07:16:02 am »
AMO draw length is determined while the bow is at full-draw, by measuring from the “throat” or “pivot point” of the grip (the deepest point on the back of the bow's grip), back to the string, where the arrow is nocked. Once that number has been measured, add 1.75 to achieve the calculated AMO draw length.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2020, 10:12:20 am »
See very few extend frontside and shoot upright with upper body expansion. Not sure why?

My guesses:

1) They never got taught how to draw and anchor properly in the first place.
2) They are overbowed and can't bring themselves to shoot a lighter weight bow they can actually handle properly because of testosterone poisoning or similar manliness issue. If you can't hold your anchor for a 5 count without trembling and wobbling all over the place you are overbowed.
3) They started with too much bow, learned all the bad habits while struggling with the draw weight and have never corrected them since.

Mark

gutpile

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 11:12:04 am »
whistlingbadger... glad I could help.. I noticed that issue myself when I was shooting a heavier bow... less cant, more vertical ,hit anchor... made a huge difference for me.. gut

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2020, 11:22:36 am »
I read somewhere that you should imagine a broomstick shoved through your sleeves. If your bow arm swings to the right(for a righty) your DL suffers,, a lot :D

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2020, 11:56:32 am »
For those looking to learn and improve, Jake Kaminski has an entire series on form. He's a two time Olympic silver medallist so he may know a few things about form and consistency.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKgJAe7yjDdIhZDVeidl7U-sa0x2RETju

Farther down the list he has a couple videos about shooting bare bow using the KSL shot cycle and how it can be modified to suit more traditional styles of archery. Even if you don't want to shoot like a target archer there is a lot of great info in there and it will help you improve your form regardless of what you are shooting.

Mark