Author Topic: Yew+OS shorty?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Corvus

Yew+OS shorty?
« on: June 24, 2020, 01:27:00 pm »
So have a nice piece of OS that turned into a not as nice piece. It decided to microcheck during heat treatment even though it was supposedly dry. Worked it down removing the checks and think it could make a decent back laminate. Ocean spray is some amazing stuff, I have a bunch of yew heartwood from an old tree that was down in the woods for a while and thinking of laminating some yew heartwood for the belly and the OS backing. Any thoughts/ideas about this combo? Would also be a shorty (around 53" ntn)
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline willie

Re: Yew+OS shorty?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 02:00:06 pm »
sounds like a good experiment.  The backing might actually be better if it not completely dry. some hardwoods have tension strengths that fall off as they get drier, contrary to belly wood that is better the drier it is.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 02:25:02 pm »
As long as the OS is clean. If there are any pins near the crown I wouldn't make a high stress bow. OS tends to pop splinters at pins. If you have a clean piece of OS I think it would be a great combo. I've thought of this myself but I've never had a piece of OS that was as straight as my Yew. That plus I've always had some Bamboo kicking around. :D Go for it, could be great :)

Offline Corvus

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 04:55:00 pm »
As long as the OS is clean. If there are any pins near the crown I wouldn't make a high stress bow. OS tends to pop splinters at pins. If you have a clean piece of OS I think it would be a great combo. I've thought of this myself but I've never had a piece of OS that was as straight as my Yew. That plus I've always had some Bamboo kicking around. :D Go for it, could be great :)
it is a really clean piece of OS which is why I am thinking about this, no pins and maybe like  2 small knots which are well placed. Think I will go for it and see what happens, in theory the pair up should make a pretty sweet shooter. Once I am done with moving this next week or so I should be finishing up a few projects and will add this to the pile. Not sure what design I would make with it yet, was contemplating an R/D maybe. My steam machine seems to have a short right now though, flips the gfi outlets no matter where I have tried plugging it in. Other stuff works fine, just something up with the steamer. Will have to take it apart to make sure it is grounded properly and everything.
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW