Author Topic: My Osage tree  (Read 1593 times)

Offline DC

My Osage tree
« on: May 17, 2020, 11:42:37 pm »
I have three, this is the biggest. I wonder if I'll live long enough to make a bow out of it ;D ;D It's got quite a bit of character (lol) (lol) (lol)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: My Osage tree
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 06:00:10 am »
Looks like you might get one of those nature center shoot handles DC
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 07:04:17 am »
I never got past the sapling growing stage, I did cull any saplings that didn't grow straight. I ended up selling/giving away all of them.

I don't have a place to plant one now but always wondered if one could train a sapling to grow straight by tying it to a stake as it grew.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 07:22:31 am »
I believe that's a female sapling DC.It's got thorns and should in time produce hedge balls.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 07:54:53 am »
use copper wire and tutors to make it straighter
copper is used in bonsai to shape and position the limbs

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 08:08:31 am »
when did you plant that tree? or how old is it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 08:29:13 am »
Once that seedling is allowed to grow unassisted in it's permanent location it should straighten up. The one I planter about 10 years ago has a straight trunk for about 5.5' with longer, straight shoots coming off of it. The bends in this sapling are at the alternate budding giving it it's zigzag form.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 10:46:06 am »
when did you plant that tree? or how old is it?

I got them from Wizardgoat at our gathering last June. They've been in  4" pots until this spring when I decided where to put them.

use copper wire and tutors to make it straighter
copper is used in bonsai to shape and position the limbs

I did bonsai for 15 years, I've got "LOTS" of wire. Then I did model yachts so I've got a bundle of carbon fibre mast I can use to get them straight.

Once that seedling is allowed to grow unassisted in it's permanent location it should straighten up. The one I planter about 10 years ago has a straight trunk for about 5.5' with longer, straight shoots coming off of it. The bends in this sapling are at the alternate budding giving it it's zigzag form.

Do they have a decent flower? I need a bit of a selling point for when the start to get in the way :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 11:44:39 am »
I've never seen an osage flower. I know they do flower because they have fruit but depending on their pollinators the flowers may not be noticeable to us. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC