Author Topic: Kinky knot  (Read 1085 times)

Offline darknite

Kinky knot
« on: April 23, 2020, 12:20:38 pm »
Kinky knot

I’m a relatively inexperienced bowyer, having completed 2 hickory and 2 osage bows. While I wanted to try a character bow this time around, this osage stave is pushing my skillset. How do I manage this kinky limb/knot? Have I already ruined it?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Kinky knot
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 12:47:47 pm »
That's a tough one.
I guess I'd tiller it out to bend but not as much as there rest of the limb.
An experienced bowyer may be able to pull it off.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 01:49:07 pm »
I would get it floor tillered and bending nicely, get out the heat gun and flatten it out, then finish tiller. There appears to be about a 1/2" of solid wood under it, I doubt the limb will be that thick out that far.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 02:42:02 pm »
How wide are the limbs? You may be able to eliminate it by reducing the width. How long is the stave?

I meant to say width up above.                                                              ^
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 08:04:30 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 03:21:26 pm »
Could you post a photo of the back at that point?  It looks like there may be several pin knots there. 

Offline darknite

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 03:31:47 pm »
I designed bow to be 66”ntn, 4” handle, 2” fades, 1¾” wide at fades out to 20”, tapering 9” to ½” nocks. The center pt of the knot is 16¼” from the end of the fade, so it’s 1¾” wide. I’d like a 60lb draw at 27”, with flipped tips (that may fall by the wayside, in view of this problem).

Offline darknite

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 03:36:19 pm »
The closest pin knot on the back is 1.5" away, towards the tip. There are about a dozen pin knots overall, on the back. I think I've done a good job on the back, working the better part of 4 days to chase the ring.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 05:58:26 pm »
I never had a problem with pins on the edge, most of my bows have them. it may be a problem when you try to heat the limb and take the kink out, thes places want to crack when exposed to localized straightening pressure.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 07:15:06 pm »
You have to leave it thicker there because deflexed areas have leverage advantage over them when being bent. So being thicker keeps them bednding the same as the straight parts of the limb. Id just leave it as it is, make it bend just a touch and build the bow. I have straightened them in the past, but they typically crack on me when I try, so, I leave em be.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 07:34:22 pm »
Assuming you already have a ring chased and a clean back. I would get it to floor tiler reducing the thickness and round off the edges of the belly in a d profile. Then I would steam it good and bend in my recurves and work my way through that area at the same time on my caul with dry heat if I had to. If it doesn’t want to go don’t push it to much.

If you don’t want to remove the kink you can just tiller it as it is. Remember though that a area that’s deflex will look like it’s bending even when it isn’t. A area that reflexes will look stiff even though it might be bending.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 10:32:30 pm »
Just tiller it as is and it will be fine.
Gordon

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 07:17:30 am »
Out on the limb that close to the tip I doubt you ruined anything.Stress is less out there.If you flatten it take care not to inflicked any damage to surface of back while pressing.I use thick leather or soft like wood like cedar.
Many bows survive well like that.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 07:31:24 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline TimBo

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 08:26:36 am »
My vote is to leave it.  By the time you work it down a bit (which would make flattening it easier), it will probably look a lot different, and you may get past the problem.