Author Topic: Dog experts...need some advice  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Dog experts...need some advice
« on: April 26, 2020, 09:59:22 am »
If we have any knowledgeable dog guys, I'd appreciate some advice.

Every time I take my dog up in to the mountains he comes back sick.  Pure breed Siberian husky.  I keep him on a leash and don't let him drink from any water sources any more.  I try to keep his muzzle out of things but he always manages to eat some grass and a mouthfull (or more of dirt)

And every time he comes home and vomiting and/or diarrhea, and just feels like crap for a couple of days.

After yesterday's hike I'm about resolved to stop taking him.  I know he gets bored cooped up around the house but it's getting to the point where it's just ridiculous.

Any advice or tips?
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Dog experts...need some advice
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 10:32:59 am »
Although I've had dogs all my life but I'm no expert. It sounds like there in an underlying cause for the problems and not just the walks. All of my dogs have been grazers , meaning they have all eaten grass on a regular basis without any problem. Sometimes they do eat grass to induce vomiting but they determine that. This time of years some of our dogs develop allergy problems. Runny noses, goopy eyes, sneezing and coughing just like us but it is seasonal. I think I'd contact my vet to see what he says.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 10:57:08 am »
Got to agree with Pat B, see your vet.  I doubt it it altitude sickness, it is possible he has an underlying condition that is affecting him.  If possible, take him for a hike at lower elevations, more similar to home to see if he reacts differently.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 02:37:34 pm »
Thanks, I'll give the vet a call tomorrow.

I just figured this was a behavioral problem, since he always seems fine before the hikes and always eats grass and dirt if I take my eye offof him.  His poops look like a sand pit the next day.

Seems to be a problem any time we take him outside of town, even lower elevation hikes.  In town and on local trails we don't have any issues I can remember.

I was hoping maybe he just needed to adjust to the local bacteria or something but it's been going on long enough that you might be right, could be an underlying issue.

ETA: I guess I should add that he'll munch on grass from time to time in town, but the dirt eating happens when we take him outside of town.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 02:48:08 pm by Mesophilic »
-Homer Simpson-

Online sleek

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 02:47:45 pm »
Does he get car sick?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 02:49:34 pm »
Does he get car sick?

Nope, never got car sick or anxious about drives.  Loves to go for rides and I often bring him with mr when I go get gas or places that are dog friendly.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 04:02:59 pm »
people have been known to eat dirt when there is a mineral deficiency.

google dog dirt mineral

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 04:09:42 pm »
Maybe he just likes the couch ;)

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 12:00:00 am »
people have been known to eat dirt when there is a mineral deficiency.

google dog dirt mineral

I was actually thinking about this and trying to sort through some online info.  Hard to know who to trust so I'll bring it up when I call the vet in the morning. 
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 12:01:12 am »
Maybe he just likes the couch ;)

Nah, he'd much rather be out sampling dirt from different parts of the mountains ;D
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 06:28:00 am »
Maybe his system is just not use to it, My dogs can eat anything [Bones/dead raw meat/hide with hair on ] and do eat grass from time to time and never get sick from it, I have friends that bring their dogs down and are sick before they get home , but their dogs are use to good dog food and stay in the house most of the time. :-\
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good