Author Topic: Uses for hide glue  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Uses for hide glue
« on: April 09, 2020, 01:53:08 pm »
Few weeks ago i cut my hands so went to the docter for stitches,. While in waiting room i searched for other ooptions, then  i Saw hide glue to glue up wounds.  So would there be a way to make your own hide glue steriele?

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
Re: Uses for hide glue
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 03:45:20 pm »
Few weeks ago i cut my hands so went to the docter for stitches,. While in waiting room i searched for other ooptions, then  i Saw hide glue to glue up wounds.  So would there be a way to make your own hide glue steriele?

Technically speaking, anything that is brought up to boiling temperatures and sustained for 5 minutes will kill any known pathogens. So if you emulsify it and boil it, it should be as close to sterile as you're going to get. Then proper storage and whatnot should keep it that way. Not to say that it would be "sterile" but it should be fine to use topically like your asking about.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 10:19:06 pm »
That's good to know, looks like the docs start counting when u arrivé on waiting room.. and i hate needles

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 06:41:14 am »
Trouble with hide glue is went it gets damp or wet it softens and won't hold. I use supper glue all the time on cuts, some pretty bad. Hide glue wouldn't last 5 minutes with me. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 08:32:47 am »
I would think your body would absorb the hide glue plus, even sterilizing it I'd think bacteria would get right back in as soon as it reach body temp.  Too many better options to risk causing more problems.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 10:03:15 am »
I would think your body would absorb the hide glue plus, even sterilizing it I'd think bacteria would get right back in as soon as it reach body temp.  Too many better options to risk causing more problems.

I addition to that, it would be a perfect protein rich growing media for microbes.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 02:00:52 pm »

I addition to that, it would be a perfect protein rich growing media for microbes.
Trouble with hide glue is went it gets damp or wet it softens and won't hold. I use supper glue all the time on cuts, some pretty bad. Hide glue wouldn't last 5 minutes with me. ;)
 Pappy
Not a wise idea directly onto skin but super glue will work.

Technically speaking, anything that is brought up to boiling temperatures and sustained for 5 minutes will kill any known pathogens. So if you emulsify it and boil it, it should be as close to sterile as you're going to get. Then proper storage and whatnot should keep it that way. Not to say that it would be "sterile" but it should be fine to use topically like your asking about.
A person does'nt make good hide glue by boiling.Some boil it a short time to extract all impurities to be skimmed off.I'm not a believer in that.It'll degrade the quality of the glue.Temps making hide glue get up to 150 F or maybe 160 F but not beyond 180 for sure for much length of time and definitely not to 212 F.
After hide glue is cooled or gelled to room temperature any type of bacteria can come into it at that stage.A bodies natural temp running into the mid 90's does'nt get cool enough to dry hard properly.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 03:54:30 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 11:30:50 am »
Im not sure hide glue would be my first choice... but i hate needles so anything to stay away from stitches!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 01:12:35 am »
Im not sure hide glue would be my first choice... but i hate needles so anything to stay away from stitches!

Look up Zipstitch.  It sticks on to each side of the wound and then uses zip ties to pull it closed.  But that bejng said, a person needs a reasonable amount of knowledge/ability/experience so they don't seal in dirt or other foreign matter especially in today's world of antibiotic resistant bacteria.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 02:34:47 pm »
In my eyes a wound Will heal best in open air, no real cover. But to speed up the healing proces, i think bringing the wound together would help, so not like sealing the wound but Just parts, like a Stitch do