Author Topic: Best way to process rope.  (Read 1015 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Best way to process rope.
« on: February 01, 2020, 05:19:48 pm »
Ok I searched Manila rope and found nothing.  I have a short maple bow that pulled a splinter and I am wanting to back it with combed Manila rope fibers set in wood glue.  Well I bought 3ft of 1/2” diameter Manila rope and I’m just trying to think of how to process it down into straight fibers without damaging the fibers strength.

Right now as I unravel the bow the fibers are very twisty and have a memory.

Should I soak in warm water for a bit and wash with dawn dish soap and rinse well to degrease?

Offline DC

Re: Best way to process rope.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 05:41:47 pm »
I tried straightening some rope for something unrelated to bows. It may have been jute though. Anyway I tried heat, soap, boiling, soaking. Nothing worked. Good luck ;D ;D

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 05:50:36 pm »
I’ve  tried steaming rope but it didn’t do anything either. Now I use some raw spun flax i found on ebay, I’ve seen other fibers available as well. Usually it’s cheaper by weight as raw fibers and saves all the trouble of making and unmaking rope.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 06:46:29 pm »
Manila rope also is treated with something to help preserve it. That may affect whether it's compatible with whatever glue you use. There are lots of other handy backing materials.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 03:39:48 am »
In the UK there is a business called Wild Fibres that sell natural combed wild Fibres raw for textile crafts. I had some hemp off them that was great lovely long clean Fibres which made a great backing. Maybe you can find a similar website near you?
Here's the link to the British companyhttps://m.wildfibres.co.uk/ (Hope that's OK to post Admins I have no affiliation with the company)
Hope you can fix your Bow!
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 07:00:53 am »
Ok so I steamed the fibers for 5 minutes and it relaxed them. No more twist!!!

I glued a first layer down and wrapped it down with masking tape.  I’ll do a second layer later this week.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 10:12:42 am »
Perfect ;)

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 10:53:31 am »
So far the bow is holding together with no sounds of the splinter lifting back up.  The splinter on the back originally lifted at 50lb @ 20”.  Then a splinter lifted at the handle fade as I was steam bending the handle to line the tips up across the handle.

I glued the back splinter down and applied two courses of Manila fiber set in wood glue. Then I glued the handle fade splinter down and wrapped it in Manila fiber set in wood glue.

I did a little knee tillering after letting the glue cure and scraped a little more on the outer limbs and inner fades.  My dang scale broke whiling pulling on the tree.  The last measurement I got was it was still pulling 50lb at 20”.  Ive shot it a bit drawing to 22”.  It seems like a decent shorty. I learned from it and that’s all I care about.

Stats
Some kind of hard maple I cut down in my back yard
46” nock to nock
50lb@20” (will draw to 22”)