Author Topic: Ordered Some Tools  (Read 4129 times)

Offline tom sawyer

Ordered Some Tools
« on: April 15, 2008, 02:57:07 pm »
Got two new bandsaw blades coming, plus a set of wood chisels and a set of cabinet scrapers.  Ordered from Grizzly, then after I placed it I found out that ordering the Timberwolf blades direct from Suffolk Machinery (the manufacturer) would have been cheaper since they have a "buy 3 get one free" sale.  Oh well.

I ordered the chisels because I have a stave with a clear knothole in it and the grain dips down quite a bit near the hole.  I tried scraping it out with a curved scraper, but it is too much wood to remove that slowly.  I figure a wood gouge is what I need, the kit comes with four of them in different sizes.

I'm making progress in processing the osage I've procured this last few months.  I have about ten staves knifed and sealed, and lots of billets too.  I have one more short log to process, plus another 8 or 10 pieces of billet length.  And of course, Jimmy wants to go cut again.  He about killed me last time, cutting splitting and carrying three logs' worth off a hill to the truck.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Dano

Re: Ordered Some Tools
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 04:01:52 pm »
A guy can never have enough tools ;D

And don't you whine about cutting wood, us guys with NONE just can't feel sorry for you.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 04:40:48 pm »
I need more tools ;D, yeah right ;D. Probably will after I see how they do things at Pappy's. Cuttin trees? I never turn down an invite..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 05:14:50 pm »
Now Dano, you came from the land of plenty and voluntarily relocated to the land of none-ty.  I bet you have a garage full of seasoned staves anyway.  Heck you drive all over the country to the bow festivals.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 07:23:07 pm »
Shhhhhh!!! Lennie, your the only one that knows that ;)
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 01:05:55 am »
I'm waiting for another invite to sit and sip lemonade with Dano and enjoy a nice cigar. ;) 8)
Lennie, You can never have too many tools.  ;D ...and Grizzly is a good company to deal with.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 01:34:58 am »
"you can never have to many tools"

now i have to disagree,only cause ifn i had to replace my tools for work after all the years of acquiring them that would probably cost me in the range of 55,000 big uns.

i think thats too many

oonly cause cars keep changing and i gotta keepe buyong more and more evry year,and they keep costing more every year. my wages dont increase as quick as inflation does. and then you figure in the ones that just plain get lost and you dont even realize it for days,thats too many tools :D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 07:46:42 am »
Sailordad, maybe we can say, you can never be too organized? :)
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 08:07:13 am »
Ya I like Grizzly also,use them all the time.Just received 15 111 in. blades and 5 90 in. blades for the saws in the shop,we go through a lot at the Classic.I bought several sets of chisels and carving tools from them in the past for character Osage also.Like Pat said ,can't have to many tools,I am a tool
nut,at least that is what Joanie says. :) ;) Lennie you going to make it over this year ?
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 11:31:29 am »
I think we will be there Pappy, at this point there's nothing on the calendar preventing it.  Lack of funds might be the only impediment, but if we eat polish sausage for the next tw weeks we ought to be able to save enough for gas money.  We'll probably drive down Friday night and just spend all Saturday, thats what we did at OJAM and it worked out OK.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 12:14:14 pm »
Cool,looking forward to seeing you and the family again.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 02:02:48 pm »
The cabinet scraper set they have now is no longer from Marples, its a manufacturer called Woodstock International and the brand is Shop Fox.  They look the same as the Marples ones I got last time, I think you even get a few more sizes in this set.  Plus they have three of the rectangular ones sharpened for fine, medium and heavy wood removal.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of burrs those have, I've never really tried to adjust my burrs like that when I sharpen them.

Hogged the bark and sapwood off another stave and two sets of billets last night.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO