Author Topic: first osage finish at TN classic?  (Read 3352 times)

Offline ScottH

first osage finish at TN classic?
« on: April 12, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »
I'm working on my first osage stave, I bought this stave last year at the TN classic. I took it to Pat's Camp O' Rama that summer and got it down to one growth ring and Pat helped me lay out the bow and get it roughed out. Thanks again Pat ;). I just recently started working on it again. I got the limbs bending some what and heated and took some deflex out of one of the limbs. I would like to bring this back with me this year to the TN classic and finish it there. I would like some more experinced eyes around when I start tillering. Is there any thing else that I need to do before I start tillering it? Does it need any more reflex or does the limbs need to be narrowed any? What are the rules to the self bow challenge? Is there any thing else I can or should do to it before I come to TN? ??? How about it Pappy or GregB? :-\  Oh yea the limbs have a few knots in them also, thats one reason I would like some one with more experiance around. I know there not going to bend like wood with no knots. I also new with posting pictures so I hope this works.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: first osage finish at TN classic?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 05:09:02 pm »
Scott, there should be enough of us at the Classic to help you out and have you shooting that bow before you know it. A little shaping and tillering and she'll be good to go. You can put it on Pappy's form and with a little heat you can add the extra reflex and any side ways bends that might need removing.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 12:11:05 pm »
Looking good, Scott-that should make a good'un. Seems like Pappy said that as long as you don't have nocks cut, it's good for the selfbow challenge?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 03:45:19 pm »
Nice peace of strait wood :)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline ScottH

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 12:14:18 am »
Pat, I'll take all the help and guidance I can get I don't won't to mess this one up. It would be nice to get it shooting by that Friday evening. Just to be able to finish a bow and shoot it for score is a big acomplishment for me no matter were I finish. I did it last year, but my shooting wasn't that good. ::) But I had fun in the process and learned a lot! :) I'm slowly getting my confidence built up on my bow building, but this osage is differant from the white woods I've worked before.

Nice peace of strait wood :)

NOMADIC PIRATE, this is extremly straight wood compared to some of that guava I have seen you post. ;D One day I would like to have the skill and the patience that you have and tackle a piece of that snakey wood. :o

Offline mole

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 01:35:58 am »
Just the other day Bruce and I were talking about the patience and determination that you showed on that stave and how we both could learn a bit from you.  I'm glad to see something coming out of it.

John
Northeast Georgia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 01:42:30 am »
Hey Scott and Mole, et al. I'll be having my camp-o-rama again this July(probably 25-27). I'll post more info closer to time.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 09:30:29 am »
Hello Scott, good looking stave you have there. Like Hillbilly said, as long as you don't have string notches cut in it you can pretty much do whatever to it ahead of time. From the stage you have it now, we can do whatever you'd like in pretty short order at the Tn. Classic... narrow the tips, floor tiller, put on form for any straightening and/or reflexing. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 10:58:31 am »
Looks good to me ,like Greg and others said ,we can have you up and going in short order.
Looks like you have done a great job so far,see ya in a few weeks. :) ;)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ScottH

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 10:53:27 pm »
Good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise me and my uncle will be there sometime before noon Thursday raring to go! ;D