Author Topic: New Holmegaard and a tiller check  (Read 4440 times)

grantmac

New Holmegaard and a tiller check
« on: April 08, 2008, 06:00:24 pm »
Hello all. I've been meaning to post the latest bow I've finished. It's my third total and first Holmegaard. Came out a little lighter than I was planning but it shoots very nice, smooth and fast #46@28". Specs are 65" NTN, Hickory, 2.3" wide down to 2" at the outer fades, inner fades 2" outer ones 3". Has a small amount of set in the outer fades, I think it's due to the local moist conditions.
Here are the pics:

And finally I was wondering if I could get a second eye on this Ipe/Boo ELB. I'd like #80@31 to start working my way up into warbows. Taken no set and shown here on a string the same length as the bow:

Thanks,
       Grant
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 06:54:17 pm by grantmac »

Offline Tom_Brone

Re: New Holmegaard and a tiller check
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 06:25:42 pm »
to my untrained eye, the right limb could bend a bit more in the middle,

great bow btw :D

tom

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 07:00:34 pm »
yep....right limb needs some work.......

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

grantmac

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 08:38:23 pm »
Worked the right limb down some, I'll get a picture later perhaps. Thanks for throwing on the elipse YankeeTejas. I know the long string makes you think the tips are too stiff so I'm not going to work them any further until I get it braced. I also made-up a 2-bunch flemish string with 18 strands of B-50, unfortunately even with the string just 2" short of the total length I can't for the life of me get it braced. I think I might need to borrow a stringer and a second person >:D

Thanks,
       Grant

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 12:04:14 pm »
Super job on your new Hickory Holmgaard. Got you all set up for April Self BOM.
Looking forward to seeing your Boo backed Ipe, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 12:31:21 pm »
Great looking holmegaard.
I think you are doing great on the tiller on the Ipe as well. You are just starting to get it bending and have a long way to go. Take it slow and easy.  Try to get the entire bow to arc like the oval Yankee posted.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 12:50:51 pm »
Nice furry pal too.

Dave

grantmac

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 02:30:39 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys. It's a very fun and accurate bow to shoot. I tillered it without my tillering tree and I think it came out surprisingly well, if a little light.
The heat treating on the belly worked very well though. The tips could be thinner, but I didn't want to risk them bending and I didn't want that extreme of a shape.

As for the BBI, I can't seem to get a string on it. I'm not sure if I'll make weight if I don't get it braced soon, I can't even get close with the stepthrough method. I'm not going to be upset if it's 80lbs at 31, but I don't want to shave off half the wood I glued on to get there!
I'll take some more pictures once I get it braced and you guys can give me some more input.
    Thanks,
           Grant

P.S. The furry one is Dobson, a Great Pyrenees/Husky cross. He's a wondeful mutt, unfortunately he's been feeling off the last few days; probably gonna be a trip into the vet this afternoon.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 02:39:44 pm by grantmac »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 02:32:53 pm »
Looks great to me ,very nice job. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

radius

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 02:11:16 pm »
Hey Grant!

Is that holmegaard made of laminated strips, by any chance?  If so, glad to see you made some good use of them.  But it does seem like that bow does all its bending at midlimb.  Have you thought of evening out the tiller, and then heating the whole thing into reflex to gain some pounds back?  Or better yet:  laminate a further hickory strip on the back (in perry reflex)?  That will help you get a higher weight and you can aim for a more even draw.

And...did you still want to give me back some of that hickory?  You can have this firewood back. 

grantmac

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 12:24:29 am »
No it's not laminated.
I've gotten used to the weight and I really like it for target shooting. I actually tied for 3rd at my first 3D shoot yesterday with it. Of course I've now got something a bit faster on the building table for the next shoot, but I will keep shooting this one just because it's so smooth and accurate.
Your welcome to all of the strips I have left, I think I used 3 of them.
     Cheers,
           Grant