Author Topic: Sinew question..... again...  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Mafort

Sinew question..... again...
« on: May 25, 2019, 02:51:59 pm »
Soo a question about sinew backing. I understand that for the first 24-48 hours after sinew backing you want to keep the bow cool so the glue can gel. Now after that 24-48 window am I clear to place the bow someplace like a hot car? Or on a window sill with the window open?

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Sinew question..... again...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 03:01:00 pm »
I think just keeping in a moderate temperature,, is best,, not in the sun,, thats just me,,

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 03:15:50 pm »
Leave it in cool and dry until any opaque milkiness disappears through the thickest section of the sinew.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 04:50:53 pm »
Is there any harm in it drying fast? Like on a cool, dry, windy day?

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 05:58:53 pm »
 You  only need to be patient for a few days and then you can push things along.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 09:19:42 am »
Like Pat said.
Let it dry slowly the first few days, then you can go faster.
Otherwise you will get heavy furrows between the bundles. The sinew at the surface dries out way to fast, just like some fresh bow wood when the bark comes off and you leave it in a windy place.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 04:26:02 pm »
maybe a small fan blowing on it,, could help with out damage, I have never done it,,so try at your own risk,, (-S

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 06:09:54 pm »
  You have to be patient with sinew as others have said...Slow dry is the key in the beginning or the outer sinew can pull away...I like cool slight humidity for the first couple of days...Gives my hide glue a chance to harden some before sinew fibers start pulling like hell...Seems to allow the jelled glue to set and adhere to the sized back...In other words, extreme heat/drying will cause the outer shell to pull the matrix early and possibly lift...I personally only use hide glue with sinew...After that it's inside a controlled invironment since I live in SC...
                                                                                                                                               Don

PS It get's moved to the bedroom corner, sometimes slid under the bed...My wife hates the hell out of sinew work in the house...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 06:12:57 pm »
Seems to be like a lot of things in this hobby. The slow way is the right way :D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 06:47:08 pm »
If you get in a hurry,,things can go sideways pretty quick..hmmm,,.how do I know that (lol)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 06:53:28 pm »
Yah, I can attest to that. Recently like.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.