Author Topic: Question about linen backing  (Read 18442 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Question about linen backing
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2008, 04:44:30 pm »
I just hope that the weave is the right direction....because the Silk I bought once from eBay...wasn't....and you could litterally pull it apart with your Fingers....good luck!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2008, 07:57:25 pm »
Just scrape the Back good with a Hacksaw Blade or Rasp...I prefer a Blade....size it with thinned Glue....I use TB 3.....soak the Fabric in Glue....lay it on....rub it down good to get out the Air Bubbles....once it's in place good...coat it good with glue again....let it dry...cant get any easier!! Then look at the Canvas for your Artistic Talents to be displayed!!
I don't scrape the back, I leave it smooth.  I also don't soak the fabric.  I size the back of the bow with a smooth layer of TB. Then I lay the fabric down keeping it smooth. After that I add one layer of TB to the top of the fabric.  The glue usually soaks up through the fabric when it is applied to the sized bow.

I wouldn't buy the ribbon from ebay for that price. I can go to the fabric store an see what I am getting.  Even if you pay the $20 per yard price it is still cheaper than the ribbon.  Silk fabric is usually 45" wide and cut 36" (1 yard) long.  Cut at 2" wide that will give you 18 strips 2" wide by 45" long. Enough to do 9 bows of any length up to 90". Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2008, 08:05:54 pm »
Thanks for that reassurance Justin...It did not sound right to scrape the back with a hacksaw blade for any kind of material backing.  I knew to do that with gap filing epoxies such as Urac or Smooth on. 

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2008, 01:42:58 am »
Stiknstring, I'm not going so far as to say the other way is wrong, just different from what I do.  I know there are 2 schools of thought on grooving (toothing) before gluing.  I Subscribe to the one that you weaken the joint by furrowing because it leaves the raised portion of weakened wood filled with the stronger glue.  All the joint has to do is fracture off the splinters (which are all the furrows are) of wood left by furrowing then you have tiny furrows of glue left that if they were together would only be half the width of the bow.  Consequently I never tooth before gluing. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline TRACY

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2008, 10:35:15 am »
Just stopped at Jo-Ann Fabrics and they only had one choice of 100% linen in light tan MADE IN THE USA for $9 yd on sale. It was 54" wide, so for about $20 you get get enough to back several bows.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline DanaM

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2008, 10:37:54 am »
Thats the stuff and $9 is a good price
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2008, 05:27:03 pm »
Haven't used linen to back a bow yet and have a good candidate to experiment on. I'm getting ready to head over there and buy a couple yards.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Aries

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2008, 05:49:06 pm »
What methods do you guys use while smoothing the edges, I have a cammo material backin on a bow that is similar to canvas. I used tb to glue it down, but i havent added a layer on top as mentioned. I am having trouble making a clean transfer from wood to backing, Is this what is to be expected from cloth backings, or am i missing another aspect?
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2008, 12:04:01 am »
apply a layer of glue on the Top...let it dry ...sand it down ...if it is still a rough edge....another layer of glue....and that should do it.....make sure that you thin the Titebond Glue though....dont put it on thick...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome