Author Topic: Hickory flat bow advice  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Floridaarcher

Hickory flat bow advice
« on: March 05, 2019, 07:07:47 pm »
I am starting a hickory flat bow build and was wondering about the best way to prevent string set. I have looked on the forum and found some useful information. I understand it doesn't take well to reflexing or steam bending and I also understand that it holds a lot of moisture. Living in florida I understand this may be an issue but I choose hickory over osage because I wanted to use what was most likely used by native peoples here. I want this bow to be fairly powerful probably around 60 -65 pounds. Any help is appreciated thanks in advance

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Hickory flat bow advice
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 07:23:15 pm »
Get it dry.
Proper design.
Proper construction techniques.

These are a must.

The devils in the details. 🙂
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Floridaarcher

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 07:31:02 pm »
I am getting the pine hollow long bows flat bow kit it's pretty much roughed out and dry. I know some may consider that cheating but I have a very limited amount of time to cut and dry staves and then rough out. What design features can I use to improve performance?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 07:45:10 pm »
Let the wood dry well before bending much. Heat treat after floor tiller, before first brace, and heat treat again once your about 4” shy of full draw. Might be a bit over kill with the second heat treat. But with hickory it can’t hurt. At very least it’ll drive a built more moisture out. In addition to proper design and tiller.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 07:47:47 pm »
I'm imagine your house has central heat/ac. You can keep the bow in your house when not shooting. Hickory is hygroscopic and will hit moisture equilibrium with it's surroundings over a period of time. It takes days in humidity before you would notice the difference in performance. You wouldn't notice a difference in a days shooting.
Hickory accepts heat threatening well and you can add reflex at the time you temper the belly. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 07:48:45 pm »
Have you made a bow before?  What’s your knowledge level on self bows?  Any reading on the subject?  You will get lots of help from guys on this forum, but where are you on the learning curve?

Offline Floridaarcher

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 08:01:31 pm »
I have mad a few bows before I have mad several board bows and a fairly decent black walnut bow. I am trying to hone the skills I do have and learn about methods like heat treatment which is something I haven't tried yet I am wary of it but it seems like the best method to maximize performance. As far as reading and knowledge level I do most of my sourcing on here and YouTube.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 08:10:16 pm »
Well, if you’ve made a few then you know something about tillering a bow. I don’t know a whole lot about Pine Hollow Bows. But I think it is a 68 inch Hickory blank. 1.75 wide at the fade. Get it and post what you got.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:39:51 am by SLIMBOB »

Offline Floridaarcher

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 08:12:44 pm »
Well, if you’ve made a few then you know something about tillering a bow. I don’t know a whole lot about Pine Hollow Bows. But I think it is a 68 inch Hicory blank. 1.75 wide at the fade. Get it and post what you got.
That is the correct dimension according to the website I haven't received the actual kit yet it's in the mail should be here Thursday if I'm lucky. Also I tried to post pictures of my black walnut bow but for some reason it will not allow me

Offline Floridaarcher

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 08:31:49 pm »
This was the first decent bow I built hopefully this will help shed some light on my skill level https://www.flickr.com/photos/164478011@N07/47295307131/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/164478011@N07/47243162112/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/164478011@N07/47243154572/in/dateposted-public/

Like I said I can make a working bow and understand basics but that would be about it

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 09:15:06 am »
That's pretty sweet looking.  Like to see 'er cranked back.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 09:35:56 am »
Take your time, and ask questions!  Post pictures, have fun.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Floridaarcher

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 11:21:01 am »
That's pretty sweet looking.  Like to see 'er cranked back.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/164478011@N07/47301701821/in/dateposted-public this photo shows the tiller fairly well

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 05:00:49 pm »
Says I need to be signed in to see it.  ???

Offline Floridaarcher

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 08:16:30 pm »
ftp://
Says I need to be signed in to see it.  ???

Ah finally figured out how to insert attachments you have to compress them first anyway here is a good full draw picture unfortunately compressing it lowered the quality of the image but I will take what I can get