Author Topic: backing questions  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Dante_F

backing questions
« on: February 21, 2019, 12:24:30 pm »
So i was reading about what plants could make good cordage and i saw nettle listed on there which is very abundant in western WA, so i thought, hey people back bows with sinew fibers so maybe they could tell me how to glue down nettle fibers, also whats your favorite cloth backing? and just one more little question why dont people seem to use denim or burlap to back bows, do they stretch out too much or what
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:49:58 pm by DELTA_WOLF »

Offline Dante_F

Re: how to back with plant fibers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 12:19:54 pm »
come on its been 24 hours in just asking how to apply sinew so i can apply plant fiber instead of sinew to see if it will work

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 12:20:37 pm »
please  ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 01:21:54 pm »
Sinew and plant fibers act differently when used as a bow backing. IMO, plant fibers would make a good security backing and sinew adds performance.
 When I apply sinew I first make sure the back is clean by washing the back with warm water and Dawn dish soap then rinse with boiling water. Do this just before adding the backing and keep your hands off the back. I size the back with hide glue then dip small bundles of sinew in hide glue, squeegee out the excess, lay it down and smooth it out then go to the next bundle. I start at the handle and go down the center first then out each limb covering well across the limb. I like to be sure the backing on each limb is attached through the handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: backing questions
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 06:15:10 pm »
What makes you think denim has never been used?  There are a lot of different materials that have been used for backings, you should try using the search function
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 06:24:48 pm »
i didnt say that, i said
why dont people seem to use denim or burlap to back bows, do they stretch out too much or what

but i will try to use the search bar, but i just seems people prefer other stuff over it
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:50:46 pm by DELTA_WOLF »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 08:50:43 pm »
George Tsoukalas used burlap sometimes. For me, I think denim is too thick and will absorb too much glue adding excess physical weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 05:15:54 am »
I've used linen for years, its cheap, easy to apply and looks ok. I've backed a couple with burlap. I didn't like the looks so well, but others who have seen/shot them had more positive opinions.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 10:38:46 am »
ok thanks i think ill avoid them for a while

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 02:00:13 pm »
Linen or silk work well. You can get silk from old neck ties at a thrift shop for a couple of bucks and already decorated. Linen blouses from a thrift shop can be cut into strips for backings.