Author Topic: Got Inspired !  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Got Inspired !
« on: February 21, 2019, 12:22:45 pm »
I have been watching all the bows you guys have been making here and haven't made a self bow in a while & got inspired and drug down this stave cut in 2015 been inside at 50% RH or lower for over 3 years its as about as strait in all directions as you can get with osage it has some slight reflex & 2 minor pins thinking 68" static leaver with about 4" total induced tip & limb reflex it should be a relaxing break from making lam bows thinking 48lb @31 maybe 11-12" statics !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Got Inspired !
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 01:21:49 pm »
that stave is too straigt,, and with those pins,, its firewood,,, better send it to me asap,, )P(

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 03:19:09 pm »
Well I'm a little rusty so better save my good ones for later  ;D

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 07:05:33 pm »
That's a beauty of a stave Stick. Keep us posted!  :)

(-P
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 07:43:00 pm »
If only I had a stave like that!!! Or any stave at all  :'( :'(

Can't wait to see what you do with it!!!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Sticks

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 08:27:30 pm »
Cant hardly buy one near that nice.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 06:44:08 am »
Thanks fellas it looks good but you never know what you got tell its a bow & bending will see !

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 10:28:00 am »
In a way I don't like staves like that. A stave usually sort of suggests where to start. Like "if I take this dogleg out then it will bend this way" and then I'm on the road. Dead straight staves don't seem to do that. They just stand there challenging me to do something. It's very frustrating. Like I'm afraid I won't do justice to them. I traded away some primo Yew staves just because I couldn't see the sense in cutting  a potential warbow down to 40 #.Weird ;D

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 10:48:35 am »
Well I have staired at this stave for a couple years on and off trying to decide what bow was in there I have cleaner ones then this I have horded so if I screw this slug up...lol I have back up but seriously I have a super clean hickory stave of the same age thats in the line up so I have been contanplating using for this one might make a little faster bow but the osage might be more durabile at my draw , thats my plaining delema ! I guess I could make both  ::)

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 11:55:42 am »
When I first saw that stave I figured you been poaching my private reserve stash...lol

Sky is the limit on that one man. You can do it. Its a nice luxury though to have some back up staves, not everyone is as fortunate. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 08:28:38 am »
Where did you get the stave . I would. Like about twenty just like it. Might it have been from Hammer? I had one just like that I am finishing up. Hey are a dream to work with as far as I'm concerned. Good luck with the build. I am sure you will turn it into a beauty. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 03:25:45 pm »
 Arvin I got that one out of Mo. a few years back but I have a few just like it or better I got from Clint !