Author Topic: questions on osage recurve  (Read 3275 times)

Offline david w.

questions on osage recurve
« on: April 13, 2008, 01:08:50 pm »
i would lke to build a 54" osage recurve for hunting.  I iwll back it with linen. Do you think i can get a full 26-28" draw from a bow like that?

do i recurve it before or after i but the backing on it?  do i recurve it before i tiller it?

do i need a form to recuve it or could i just bend it over my knee?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Gordon

Re: questions on osage recurve
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 01:35:41 pm »
I would recommend that you make your bow bend slightly through the handle at that length and draw. Floor tiller, recurve, apply the backing, and tiller in that order. You'll need some kind of form to recurve the tips.
Gordon

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 01:37:09 pm »
thanks Gordon that really helps.

could i cut a form out of a board and clamp the limb down on it with C-clamps?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 01:37:17 pm »
Why 54"? I don't know why everyone lately seems to want to build knee-high bows? It's entirely possible with osage, but if you have access to longer wood, you will probably be more satisfied with a longer, more stable bow- especially for hunting, when accuracy and consistancy are really important. Are you wanting a static recurve or working, flipped tips? With any serious recurves, I would bend them before tillering. I've bent recurves over my knee before, but a form works better. Also, with a osage board, I'd prefer a piece of bamboo or hickory to linen for a backing, but that's just me.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 01:42:19 pm »
this has nothing to do with the backpack bow challenge it just something i have always wanted to do since i started buildong bows but maybe i should go for 60-66"

the type of recurve doesnt really matter to me as long as it is a recurve i sort of want it like this one just a little more recurved http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,5920.0.html

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 02:16:12 pm »
By adding recurves to any bow you will increase the stresses quite a bit. If you have to build it as described go with Gordon's suggestions. A 62" , or better yet 64" osage will be a better choice for you now. When you get a bit more experience is the time to "push the envelope" in your bow making. A mediocre bow that shoots well is more productive to your learning than a "hot" bow that may fail.
   You have plenty of time to experiment. PATIENCE grasshopper !!!!  ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 07:11:50 pm »
ok i will go to 64" or 66"

i am plenty patient look at how long it takes me to make a bow ;D