Author Topic: Scrap Pile Experiments  (Read 1736 times)

Offline IrishJay

Scrap Pile Experiments
« on: January 07, 2019, 02:28:41 pm »
So, I've got some decent staves seasoning away, but nothing ready to work with right at the moment. So I decided that just for giggles to try some experiments with parts and pieces from my scrap pile. I figure since it was all already scrap theres nothing to lose if it doesn't work, but theres learning to be gained from trying. I'm currently working with 2 black cherry limbs from a bow that broke in the handle (didnt leave enough meat it the handle when I roughed out the stave) and a riser section from a bow that popped a limb during tiller (didnt have a good ring, and had a transverse knot across the one limb). I made a lap joint, glued with TB glue and dowel pinned. Then I wrapped it with 65lb test spyderbraid fishing line coated with more TB. I'm not sure if this is going to work, but I've never tried a splice before so it seemed worth a shot if just to learn.

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

Re: Scrap Pile Experiments
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 02:37:32 pm »
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 03:50:51 pm »
One completed limb binding.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 05:35:42 pm »
You are a brave man. I hope you succeed.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 06:19:13 pm »
No luck, snapped with about 20lbs on the one limb, I think the lap joint was too short.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 08:26:24 pm »
I don't think a pin helps. It wouldn't do anything until the glue lets go and by then it's too late. A scarf joint like that should be something like 7 times as long as the width. But you learned something. :)

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 08:41:09 pm »
Yep, I really didnt expect it to make a usable bow, I just figured playing around with some scraps I had nothing to lose.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 06:04:26 am »
I used to dowel glued on handles when I first started out thinking the dowels would keep them on. The doweled ones failed more than my later one without dowels.