Author Topic: 1st bow, 1st post  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Kmm11120

1st bow, 1st post
« on: December 20, 2018, 10:34:15 pm »
I'd like to thank everyone that unknowingly helped me make my first bow.
This is a hickory 1×2 with a maple handle, osage tips
About 65# @28"  71" ntn.  8" brace
I shot for the first time in its final state tonight.  Overall I'm pretty happy, although I'm inexperienced and the arrows don't have the proper fletching.
A couple of concerns I had;
During the early build the bow took a deflex set and never came back.  What happened, is it bad? Can I prevent it? 

My last step was reflexing the tips, concerning?

How should the arrow rest line up with the string and nock?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:44:14 pm by Kmm11120 »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: 1st bow, 1st post
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 04:16:23 am »
Looks very good for you first, wished my first looked like that, as far as set it happens but you can keep it to a minimum by going slow with the tiller and never pull passed draw weight you want and never pull more  when you see a problem that needs attention. Also I would round the edges a bit. Very well done, love to see a full draw. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Kmm11120

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 04:38:13 am »
Well then I guess I know my mistake.  After I initially shaped it, I tried bracing and it had to be 120-150lbs.  Kept tillering until I could pull and aim.  The 65lbs I found out at the archery club I shot at.  I guess I better go buy a scale if I'm to keep doing this!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 06:44:04 am »
If you didn't have a scale it is likely you pulled it past your target weight during the construction which causes more set. I agree a rounded handle fits your hand much better.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 08:06:50 am »
Great job on your 1st bow. 

Your string should line up with the middle of the handle at brace.  That's all that matters. 
8" is a large brace height for this style of bow.  I like to start at 6" and see how it shoots there.

Like Pappy said, don't pull past your target draw weight.  When I first started one of the bowyers on this site said to think "fresh belly wood".  I really like that saying, and I try and keep that in the back my mind when trying to reduce set.  Once set or the breakdown of wood fibers happen, there's no reversing it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 09:02:19 am »
Looks good, nice job for a first bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 09:08:21 am »
Congratulations, it's a amazing feeling that first one. Would love to see a full draw. Make sure you start building another one. Better start prepping some staves. Welcome to the addiction.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Kmm11120

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 06:53:15 am »
Thanks is all for the kind words and tips.
Speaking of staves Bjrogg, as I was contemplating my first bow I coincidentally ran across an osage tree and harvested a couple of branches/saplings that happened to be growing straight up.
The pic is one of them. It's about 2 1/4" with bark and doesn't really deviate until about 72". 
I practiced debarking and following grain on a 3rd which made a great walking stick, but I'd like to hear a couple of strategies on how to proceed with these.
Tha ke again.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 07:01:23 am »
You can easily make a 50#+ bow with that osage pole. Just remove the bark and use sapwood as the back. If you have a bandsaw you could saw it in half lengthwise, bind the 2 pieces back together with pieces of wood as spacers to allow good air flow and build 2 bows later. You will have to add a handle riser but those poles make great bows. be sure to seal the ends.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kmm11120

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 07:22:02 am »
So I guess that's what's been confusing me when I read some previous posts.  What you've proposed is that the DShape will actually be opposite of my longbow, curve on back and flat-ish on belly.  The width of this bow I imagine will end up being somewhere like 1-1/2".
Also I doubt my bandsaw will cut this, it's just a cheap table top Delta, so I should probably go for a one piece.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 07:56:27 am »
Yes, round back and flat belly. Osage can take it. I've built quite a few pole bows and love them.
 After moisture has equalized for a week or so you should go ahead and saw off the belly from the handle to the tips. Be sure you get below the center(pith) or it will check there. You should also bind it to a form(2x4 will work) as it is drying so it won't warp or twist.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ohma2

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 08:36:29 am »
Agree with pat that will make you a good bow .i think sapwood on the back or osage is nice looking .one of my favorite bows came from a sapling like that.heed pats words and strap it down for a while.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 09:58:37 am »
Nice job to one newbie to another.  And welcome aboard PA!  Patience is the main tool you'll need.  Good luck with the next project!  Keep asking questions as well
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 06:14:58 pm »
Very nice! Congratulations! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!