Author Topic: Will this knot be a problem?  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Seal B

Will this knot be a problem?
« on: November 23, 2013, 04:41:27 am »
Will this knot cause any problems with my European Ash flat bow? The bow is 2inches wide at the moment and has not been tillered.
Clearly the growth rings have been violated, so I am concerned that this could be a major weak spot. Should I cut around it (remove it), or would backing the bow with sinew be a better solution?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Will this knot be a problem?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 09:08:48 am »
Ive never seen Eurpean ash, but I dont see violations on that back? That knot is in a bad spot on an edge. Where is it located?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Seal B

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 10:39:56 am »
When i said about the growth rings being violated i was commenting on how the knot has been cut off - I think that it was a small branch before hand and i cut it off with my axe when I felled the tree. It's about 5inches away form the bow's handle which doesn't make things too easy. If i were to cut around it I would have thought that it would make the bow a bit uneven and i don't really want to make the limbs any narrower than they already are (about 1 3/4 inches). This is a bit of a tricky one, and I don't want to do any tillering until it's sorted, breaking it now would be a real disappointment.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 09:03:06 am »
Thats not a ring violation, those branhces have to come off some way. It will crack right there sooner than later, down the side odds are. I know you dont want a more narrow bow, but its your only option. Temper it, that always helps any and all whitewood bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Seal B

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 02:46:17 am »
cheers, I guess i could go to 1 1/2 inches, I usually use Yew when bow making so thanks for the tip on tempering, wouldn't have thought of that.