Author Topic: Finishes?  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Finishes?
« on: October 09, 2018, 11:06:21 pm »
About to apply the finish to the hickory bow after I complete the make up.  My thought is to seal with satin lacquer, then Truoil.  The base coat is acrylic with rawhide wraps painted with acrylic.  Colors are matte fern green and matte black.  I am assuming that Truoil is compatible with lacquer.  Any input is welcome!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Morgan

Re: Finishes?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 11:19:12 pm »
I just used tru oil for the first time and like it a lot. I have no idea if it is compatible with lacquer, but know that it is not compatible with some paints and inks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 08:06:14 am »
I'd put the Tru-oil down first. It will fill the pores and give you a better finish. I use satin poly over Tru-Oil with good success to eliminate the shine but I've never used lacquer with it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 08:06:45 am »
Paste wax over a few saturation’s of tung oil. Easy to do and dries virtually immediately. Gets harder over time. Only downside is minor. You should topcoat the wax once or twice year. Before and after hunting season is what i do.  If you want it a bit darker then paste wax over linseed oil; you’ll get more grain depth with linseed. Been doing my old guns that way for years. The wax is a lot harder than you’d think and holds up great in the wet and subfreezing temps.