Author Topic: BBI R/D tiller help  (Read 1358 times)

Offline youngbowyer33

BBI R/D tiller help
« on: August 02, 2018, 11:08:41 pm »
Hi, working on my first r/d and tillering is going slowly. Looking for some advice. This is braced about 6' from the back of the bow

It seems obvious to me that the right limb (upper) is bending more than the left, but I'm not sure what part of the limb I should be removing wood from (I am thinking midlimb). On top of that, I'm worried there might be a hing out of the fade on the right limb, but I'm also not sure if each limb should be bending more out of the fade.

What do you think?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline simk

Re: BBI R/D tiller help
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 05:27:13 am »
imho stop removing wood @ the fades and let the reflexed part bend straight. when braced a r/d bow bow should show a triangle imho. cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 08:54:55 am »
Remove wood from everywhere but the fades. The reflexed outer limbs need to open some at least.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 09:00:35 am »
   It looks to me like you could shorten up that handle a bit more and pick up quite a bit of bend there. There is a hinge out of the right fade, however hard you are pulling the bow to get it where it is now is likely going to be your maximum draw weight for the bow.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:44:13 am by Badger »

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 11:22:21 am »
I think this is more of the shape your after.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 11:40:04 am »
When I glued the bow up I thought it wouldn't keep as much reflex as it did so there is more than I wanted. And yeah it's going to come in under weight, but I glued up another and knew this one was more for practice.

I might shorten the handle by 1 or 2 inches on both sides and I'll remove more material towards the tips. Thanks guys

I might even make it for my left handed brother
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"