Author Topic: What to look for in "shrub-like" tree woods  (Read 1106 times)

Offline ty_in_ND

What to look for in "shrub-like" tree woods
« on: July 30, 2018, 01:25:51 pm »
I'm not sure the best way to word it, but species that grow into lots of clustered trunks/off-shoots like juneberry, lilac, chokecherry, etc, how do you go about finding a bow-worthy piece of wood?  I ask because I have a couple of friends that have a good row of chokecherry and lilac and it would be fun to maybe make a bow out of those woods one day.

Here are some pics I took as an example to see if I'm on the right track or not.  The one friend with the chokecherries gave me permission to pick as much as I want (his row is at least 100 yrds long!).  I found this tree in the middle (width-wise) of the row, so it doesn't have any fruit bearing branches until 15 ft off the ground.  It does bend some, but it doesn't look like it twists and it is fairly straight looking (minus the bend).

Thanks in advance for the advice!

"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Re: What to look for in "shrub-like" tree woods
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 07:07:35 pm »
I've found it pretty hard to read the bark on chokecherry and serviceberry as far as twist goes. Also if one is twisted it seems the whole area is the same. Test one out before you cut them all.

Offline ty_in_ND

Re: What to look for in "shrub-like" tree woods
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 11:27:50 am »
Thanks for the tip, Chuck!  I'll be sure to get at one of those smaller ones to see if they're twisting or not before felling the larger one.

On a side note, I think I'll also try using chokecherry juice as a dye.  It's a great color and it's left my straining cloths a nice color, too.  I have some wood arrows I need to finish, so I'll give it a shot on one of those.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."