Author Topic: Snake skin helpjul tip  (Read 765 times)

Offline DuBois

Snake skin helpjul tip
« on: July 10, 2018, 01:51:18 pm »
I just tried a new thing. Probably been done for years but new to me.

Unfinished skin is on bow and sort of rough right?

I sprayed shellac over a short section and almost immediately wiped it down with a rag soaked in rubbing alcohol, going with grain of skin. Repeated a couple times working way down limb and pressing pokie burrs down as I go until done and smoothing it with finger after.
Really takes on a much smoother feel and ready for some tru oil now.

Offline ntvbowyer1969

Re: Snake skin helpjul tip
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 12:26:21 am »
did you make sure to descale the whole skins? I wash mine in dawn dish detergent in warm water.I then rinse with cold water. I let them soak while i apply a sizing coat of titbond 3 to the back of bow. when its dry i apply another coat of titebond3 and pat dry the skins. after 24-48hrs i descale the skins. If i get a couple scale that lift up or are not sanding flat on the sides i use a lighter to just touch the flame quick to the scale lifting up.It will melt/burn the scale flat and make it smooth. After all the prep is done i do 6 coats of truoil sanding in between coats after the first two coats. I use 00steel wool for the sanding. Just make sure you use a tact rag in between sanding. sorry long winded just giving you some ideas and how i do them. sounds like you are ready to go.cant wait to see it!!!