Author Topic: Question about sinew  (Read 779 times)

Offline Taxus brevifolia

Question about sinew
« on: July 10, 2018, 12:22:18 pm »
I'm trying to figure out how much sinew I need. I understand ideally the same weight is applied to each limb. I've found a supplier with various lengths available from various species, im ready to order as soon as I figure out how much I'll need. Earlier I bought 10 elk tendons about 10" long each, from a different vendor. These will work well I'm sure. The new supplier has quite a lot available, including elk back tendon up to 30" long & 2.5" wide, I'm guessing two of those ought to cover one 50"+ bow with one layer.

I realize how many layers depends on a few factors, I'm not asking anyone to pull out a crystal ball...

To put this all into one question/request, I would greatly appreciate learning what you experienced bowyers do as far as planning for sinew.

I've got a little stockpile of roughed in staves ready for the next steps. I'm a little gunshy because I've ruined a few, and you might say I've been stalling. Getting up the nerve to try the draw knife again. Assuming I can bring at least one of these "preforms" through without turning it into a kid's bow, I want to be ready to move ahead with sinew, they're all meant to be sinew backed.

I should say, also: those of you who else been watching me gather wood and obsidian, wondering if I'm ever going to do anything with it...all things considered, from your perspective, scepticism is reasonable. Bear with me, I'm in this for the long haul. Building a solid foundation as I move along, albeit slowly.

Offline DuBois

Re: Question about sinew
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 01:47:17 pm »
If the elk leg is thick I'd process 4 or 5 of them and lay them on as first thick layer (might be some left). I weigh bundles when done by length and match each limb closely with some for across the handle too. I doubt the backs will make a whole layer if it's the first layer, save the long backstraps for the top layer and crown it all up good from 1st second and third layers. Can do them all at once if you want. I like a lot of sinew. If you're enjoying yourself, no hurry.  Good luck.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

Re: Question about sinew
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 12:23:57 am »
Thanks DuBois!