Author Topic: Steaming bag idea.  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Vgo750

Steaming bag idea.
« on: June 28, 2018, 11:03:36 pm »
Just thought I would pass along an idea my wife thought of today while I was looking for a bag to steam a limb in.  I have been using the bread loaf bags which have been working great but I needed to steam quite a ways down a limb today to flip the tip and also get some sideways bend out on the form at the same time.  BEHOLD!  My wife’s great idea!  Lol I’m sure some of y’all have already thought of these and using them but they are vacuum sealer bags from the “make your own bag” roll. I was able to basically steam the entire limb using this...awesome!

Offline bubby

Re: Steaming bag idea.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 07:59:12 am »
That works great, you can also order a roll of shipping tubing that is cheaper. I have been using trash can liners they are super cheap,
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gfugal

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 01:52:45 pm »
That's brilient! Bubby where do you get the shipping tubing for cheep. On Amazon a large roll costs $40. Vgo750 how much was the sealer bags?
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 05:31:34 pm »
I got short rolls from eBay pretty cheap, I think the waste basket bags are the cheapest route
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 12:48:41 am »
I couldn't help but think it looks like you're trying to suffocate the life out of your bow  ;D ;D

This is a great idea though, thanks!
Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 10:05:08 am »
Vgo   If you fill your steamer to the "Max" line, how much time do you get? I've got two of them and one gets about 30 min and the other gets about 45 min.
 I've found with the bags that if you adjust the drain hole so that the bag just starts to go slack you get more steam flow and it gets a few degrees hotter. I shortened the hose on one of mine thinking it wouldn't cool as much but it didn't make a lot of difference. My temperature is right around 210°f anywhere in the bag. I'm about 30 yards above sea level.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 10:11:38 pm »
Thank you for sharing! You've given me an idea

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 10:19:52 pm »
Gfugal, I’m not exactly sure how much they are...maybe 20 bucks for a 20’ roll. We always have a roll at the house because I love vacuum sealing everything for some reason lol. I was able to use the same bag twice with no degradation of anything.  Maybe be able to use it many more times. 

DC, I have been filling the steamer just beyond the max line and I get about 25 minutes before the water level is at the refill line.  I obviously have to refill and keep steaming some more mid steam session to get a solid 45 minutes on a limb.  So the pic I posted here I only had two small nail holes at the bottom of the bag and it was really inflated.  The second limb I poked two more small holes to make 4 total small holes at the bottom of the bag and it was still quite inflated but had less pressure in the bag.  I didn’t notice any difference in the bendability of the limb but I was only doing minor shaping here.  I was actually thinking of doing the exact same thing to the hose as you mentioned...I still might shorten it a foot or two but just for convenience sake.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 11:01:04 pm »
The one that lasts the longest cycles slower and if I overfill it I can get an hour. The other doesn't seem to cycle at all, it just boils dry in about the same time as yours. I might have to tear it apart to see what's going on. Even though the one lasts way longer it still stays hot.