Author Topic: Red Oak Hunter  (Read 9846 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Red Oak Hunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 11:57:34 am »
Great tiller on that bow, good looking weapon. I would round those edges some, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 01:05:51 pm »
I would only echo what others have said.  That bow is pretty nice.  Tiller looks awesome and I will bet it flat wings that arrow. Now I would round the corners on that red oak to relieve stress spots and for aesthetics and then maybe even bone the edges to "toughen" the areas a splinter might raise.  Good Bow....now do just a tad more to make it a BETTER or even GREAT bow.   

Offline adb

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 01:10:51 pm »
Awesome tiller! I'd round off the edges, however. It'll make it more comfortable to shoot, and less likley to lift a splinter. Nice bow!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 01:34:17 pm »
Very nice job,tiller looks dead on to me and as all the others have said ,just round the edges and it should be a great bow.Nicely done.Never made a board bow,may have to give it a try. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 02:55:07 pm »
Man, according to Yankee's oval overlay, the tiller looks spot on.  Good job.  I found an oak board in my shop last night that I bought at HD as well, still with my outlines marked on it waiting to be cut out.  I left it out to inspire me.  Your bow makes me want to get after it too.

Otoe   
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline John K

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 03:38:52 pm »
Great lookin bow !!
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 03:58:11 pm »
Tiller needs to be in a book as a description of perfection, great job,...now round the edges so we can relax :D....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Kyle

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 08:32:06 pm »
Thanks guys i will round the edges of it like all of you said (my brother also ragged on me for that!!, i feel kind of stupid ;D) As for the tiller being good ;) it was actually very easy with the board (so long as it has a good staight grain!) it seems as long as the limbs had the exact same taper they almost tiller themselves.

....By the way the last 16" of each of the limbs and the handle are already rounded (you can't see it under the rawhide) I'll do the rest of it soon, Thanks :)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 09:08:17 pm »
Thanks guys i will round the edges of it like all of you said (my brother also ragged on me for that!!, i feel kind of stupid ;D)

I figured Kegan would get on to you...considering the way He is with His Creations!! Still wish I could hit the Tiller like that when I was just beginning!!! Nice Job...Kyle
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:49:13 am by YankeeTejas »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 09:39:09 pm »
  I can't add much more than anybody else, great bow. Sure starts to be no fun when ya' can't kid around with the guy's at the camp fire. Not many of us in school anymore.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 12:02:43 am »
Hey Yankee his brother is KEGAN not KEENAN....lol.  Gotta bust chops once in a while

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 02:09:55 am »
By the way, where's Kegan been lately?  Seems like there for a while he was completing a bow about every other day, in between hand drill fires.   >:D

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2008, 09:50:15 am »
  I can't add much more than anybody else, great bow. Sure starts to be no fun when ya' can't kid around with the guy's at the camp fire. Not many of us in school anymore.

Boy I hear ya ....Eddie
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008, 09:59:25 am »
Good lookin' tiller on that bow! I agree with others...I'd round the edges.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...