Author Topic: a little cross (bow)  (Read 2784 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
a little cross (bow)
« on: April 10, 2018, 09:42:25 am »
Hi Guys, first off, if  an admin wants this post deleted or moved then that's fine with me.  So, I have a bundle of off-cuts and billets and I thought I would build a simple pin-trigger crossbow with a sinew and something prod partly for fun and partly to practice some techniques for a bigger project I have underway.  I was thinking a 2" wide prod with a slightly 'v' profile reducing to 1" wide at the nocks, about 30" ntn. and looking for an 8" power stroke with the bow deflexed a couple of inches to reduce set. I'll probably end up using apple, though hawthorn is a possibility, as is hazel or maybe even blackthorn.  Any advice and tips would be very welcome.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 12:24:44 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: a little cross (bow)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 01:38:48 pm »
I found  a nice little yew branch billet 2" across the centre, very high crowned with quite light heartwood but no real knots. Anyone able to advise about tapers? It's 27" tip to tip and I plan on splicing on horn knocks which will take it out to 30" ttt

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 02:17:10 pm »
The one I built was 30" tip to tip with 12" from belly to latch.
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/detail-pics.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 02:52:15 pm »
I think all wood crossbows are an awesome concept and I would like to try one sometime, but I have no experience with them.  Just to set my mind at ease, do you all leave them "cocked" for long periods of time?  Just thinking about doing that with a regular bow and it makes me cringe. 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 04:23:05 pm »
I think all wood crossbows are an awesome concept and I would like to try one sometime, but I have no experience with them.  Just to set my mind at ease, do you all leave them "cocked" for long periods of time?  Just thinking about doing that with a regular bow and it makes me cringe.
Nope, you'd never leave a crossbow cocked for more than a few seconds IMO
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 11:33:59 am »
I've started prepping the sinew, any idea how much I'm likely to need for a 27" prod ?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 03:28:29 pm »
I'm v-splicing on horn tips and I want to re-enforce the joint with a sinew wrap.  Does  the binding go under or over the sinew backing?

Offline shamus

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 04:54:42 pm »
Nice xbow, Del.