Author Topic: Knotty stick virgin  (Read 2579 times)

Offline Morgan

Re: Knotty stick virgin
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 09:59:15 pm »
Brother you ought to be proud of that stick. I always shy away from big knots. I’m a chicken lol.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 11:34:42 am »
Ben,
         Never be hesitant to post man...Nice little stick for your 2nd bow...Brace looks good and hope to see it full draw...
                                                                                                                                                                                  Don

If you are going to hesitate to post any bow, hesitate to post the better ones.  Sure it is nice to see folks complimenting you on what worked. However, the learning comes from posting what didn't work so well. That way the conversation can turn to design and execution. The philosophy around here is to learn and help others learn, and be polite doing it!  So feel free to post your dogs, we are a dog friendly community, LOL!

As for drying-in reflex, I have always been sceptical and my own experiences have had abysmal results.  But like Ed said, a heat gun is a game changer!

Keep posting, we'll keep reading and discussing!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbowbeard

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 11:45:21 am »
Great looking bow!  Congrats on a nice shooter.

Offline Ben.Kellerman

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 07:50:23 pm »
Ben,
         Never be hesitant to post man...Nice little stick for your 2nd bow...Brace looks good and hope to see it full draw...
                                                                                                                                                                                  Don

If you are going to hesitate to post any bow, hesitate to post the better ones.  Sure it is nice to see folks complimenting you on what worked. However, the learning comes from posting what didn't work so well. That way the conversation can turn to design and execution. The philosophy around here is to learn and help others learn, and be polite doing it!  So feel free to post your dogs, we are a dog friendly community, LOL!

As for drying-in reflex, I have always been sceptical and my own experiences have had abysmal results.  But like Ed said, a heat gun is a game changer!

Keep posting, we'll keep reading and discussing!

Thank you JW.  Being a newbie to the bowyer scene, I wasn't posting this stick to get an ego boost.  I was extremely spectical that I got the tiller right and my fine details dont compare at all to most on here.  I am on the other hand, blown away that I guess my own criticism is greater than the general public.  As for the heat gun!?  I've "seen"/read many people using many different ways to set reflex?  Heat gun, oven, stove top, outdoor fire pit?  Is direct heat the main advantage of the heat gun?  And can other methods still be successful?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 04:58:56 pm »
Focused direct heat that you can manipulate, that's how I think of the value of a heat gun.

Keep posting, I like what I see so far!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 06:05:44 pm »
Convenience is the biggest reason. They have at least one disadvantage and that is the use hot air which can curl around the back and scorch it. Radiant heat is the best IMO. I made a radiant heater to do one whole limb at a time and it worked great on limbs that were straight in both directions(rare) but any bend, sideways or reflex/deflex and it became mostly useless so it hangs on the wall. I think a properly jigged hotplate(aiming down so you can see what's happening) would do a good job with no back scorching.