Author Topic: ERC/SINEW question for the pros.  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Yellowstave

ERC/SINEW question for the pros.
« on: May 12, 2018, 08:03:45 am »
How much sinew needs to be on the back of a cedar bow to make it safe. There is no sapwood on this bow. I have one run of sinew on the back with hide glue and its curing now. It went on pretty thick in my eyes, but as my eyes are untrained like you guys, how much is enough?. It is 66" ttt. I intend to make it 45-48 lbs at 26 inches. Opinions welcome, thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ERC/SINEW question for the pros.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 08:26:14 am »
You are using too much glue. You'll get better protection from more sinew and less glue. The glue is dead weight where the sinew is working for your bow. When I add sinew to the back of a bow I start with a couple of sizing coats of hide glue, just enough to be sure it soaks in. I then dip the sinew in the glue and squeegee out the excess glue between my thumb and fingers and lay it flat, then on to the next bundle.
 A good, even layer of sinew will give you good protection.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 08:36:51 am »
+1 of Pats' comments.
By the looks of the straight tipped less stressed design and amount of reflex at 66" long you should be ok.Sinew can look like a lot when it's first applied.I forget the degree of shrinkage it goes through but quite a bit.That's why I weigh the sinew before applying to put an even amount on each limb.If you end up here with 1/32" to 1/16" thick with one application of thickness after drying just for protection you should be ok.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 12:12:04 pm »
what everyone else said... that one will be fun when completed.  I had to look twice because it almost looked like the sapwood was on the belly.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 12:47:25 pm »
You can squeeze most of that excess glue out with wrapping and heat.

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 11:36:01 am »
You are using too much glue. You'll get better protection from more sinew and less glue. The glue is dead weight where the sinew is working for your bow. When I add sinew to the back of a bow I start with a couple of sizing coats of hide glue, just enough to be sure it soaks in. I then dip the sinew in the glue and squeegee out the excess glue between my thumb and fingers and lay it flat, then on to the next bundle.
 A good, even layer of sinew will give you good protection.
+1 I agree with Pat B.
That hide glue looks thick. Is it titebond hide glue?
Northern Ute

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 02:10:31 pm »
Yes it is titebond genuine hide glue.

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 02:12:06 pm »
Haha! So im guessing i got "enough" then.. lol

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 03:13:20 pm »
Yes it is titebond genuine hide glue.

That’s great glue. Thin it up a bit, with some aqua. Then dip your sinew in and use a comb to neatly apply it to the back.
Clatskanie, Oregon