Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 6059 times)

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 02:18:04 pm »
I've seen the traditional bowyers bible, would that be a good place to start?

It's a great place to start!

You want more weight than 70 pounds? You're more man than me.
:D

This is one of the friendliest, most helpful boards I've ever been on. This group can help answer pretty much any question you can think up. Good luck. I'm still a newbie myself. I have a board bow part finished. I plan on working some more on it soon. I'd like to have one functioning by the fall.
Doug from Missouri

Ag09

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 08:00:13 am »
Hey I'm a newbie as well and didn't really want to start another thread on the same topic so just going to post in here.

Let me try to get this straight:

To build a bow, the basic steps are just to:
Get wood (chop it down or buy from lumber store)
Trace out your outline on the front
Cut off the excess on the side
Make it thinner slightly on the limbs and try floor tillering to see if it bends.
Then make it thinner and put it on a tiller tree (or in front of a mirror) and see what needs to go to get the draw you want
Then finish it up with sanding/staining/backing?

Is that it?  Any steps I missed for a basic bow?  No fancy recurve or anything, just a self-bow or board bow (same thing I would think?)

Also this is probably a stupid question but I never really worked with wood much growing up nor did my father (he's extremely allergic to sawdust, we cut down some Firs last week and he's still coughing/sneezing from it) so I don't know what a straight grain is.  I would assume just a straight line going down the plank like this:

And not this where it bends slightly to the left:

Or can it bend that much and still be OK?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 09:01:13 am »
Straight is the first picture, for a board bow the straighter the better. My advice is to back
a board bow with linen or silk. Welcome to PA Ag09

Take a look at Jawge's site and follow his directions.

http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 12:32:32 pm »
Here's some advice, listen to everybody. That's about all I can give you, lol, they've covered just about everything you need to get started.  :)
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 12:33:53 pm »
Oh, and The Bowyers Bible's are great. The first one is very helpful for the begining bowyer.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 09:26:04 pm »
The people on here are very giving of their knowledge. So don't be afraid to ask. I'm on bow #4 and the biggest thing I've learned is take it slow don't get in a hurry especially when tillering.  The TBB's are really helpful. I have so many bookmarks in mine that I can't close it.
Good luck

Wayne Silverthorn

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 02:18:52 pm »
welcome... i have to say getting started is harder when you dont have someone around to teach... first hand anyway... but like the guys said.... books are good.. but the thing is you cant beat a whole day.. week ... month of nothing but sitting back and working the wood that mother earth... or lowes... provided for our uses.... and when you are done... you will have the satisfaction of creating something from raw material that has form and function.... a thing of lethal beauty.. and if you have any questions email me at darksoldier1313@yahoo.com
good shooting... and whittlin' to ya
death by natural causes