Author Topic: Ipe with maple backing  (Read 2604 times)

Offline jturner

Ipe with maple backing
« on: March 24, 2008, 07:01:52 pm »
I just glued up a bow with a black walnut handle, ipe limbs with maple backing. 70 inches ntn. wondering how many have tried this combo and how it worked. I made an ipe and maple kid bow for my girl and it had alot of follow.is that normal with this combo?
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline DanaM

Re: Ipe with maple backing
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 10:03:28 pm »
I have never used ipe but everything I've ever heard is that its tough wood
and not normally suseptible to undue amounts of set. A picture of the unbraced profile and at
full draw would help.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline jturner

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:24:25 pm »
I dont have a digital camera yet, I was just wondering if any one could tell me some dimensions the one that I have glued has 1/4 in maple and 1/2 in ipe and was wondering how thin to make the backing, I havent backed many bows and was nt sure if the backing was too thick.I may be able to get pics tommarrow but it just came out of the oven.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 11:16:29 pm »
  There is a lot of Tropical wood that is called Ipe by mistake. Bob and Rich Saffold have a lot more experience with it than me. I did just glue up an Osage reflex-deflex with Hard Maple backing.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Rich Saffold

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 12:10:16 am »
The density of both woods  makes it hard to say exactly what dimensions, but if I have picked the woods I'm making it  1" wide, and tapering to 1/4'-3/8" tips.  The maple thickness shouldn't be a problem if the Ipe is sound, and like mentioned, is Ipe. So lay out the lines at 1 1/8th, and 1/2" tips and this gives you a little leeway for the cut.

If the Ipe is dense and the maple isn't, its going to follow the string. Don't worry about this, just concentrate on getting the best bow you can..

Rich