Author Topic: Shoulder problems  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Trapper Rob

Shoulder problems
« on: November 12, 2017, 06:31:48 pm »
Who out there has had shoulder surgery what did you have done & how did it work out for you ? I've had both shoulders operated on the right one was in Jan the doctor said it would need replaced I seen another surgeon he said the same thing. When I had the right one done in Jan I fell 6 days after surgery & caught myself with my right arm it tore my bicep & rotator cuff. The surgeon said he could fix the bicep & rotator cuff but only about 30 to 50 percent chance the pain would go away he said the replacement would be the better way to go. When shooting bows after about 8 to 10 shots it really starts to hurt.

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Shoulder problems
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 07:00:38 pm »
   Rob,
            I shoot 1 at a time, maybe that will help during your recovery...Shoot, think about the shot as I'm walking to pull the arrow...Hope you heal up man
                                                                                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 07:43:54 pm »
Sorry I have no advice or help Buddy.  But I got lots of prayers that you make the decisions that work and get  you back healthy  ASAP.
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 10:28:50 pm »
Get the cutting done, then follow the Doctor' orders to the letter!!!  The physical therapy is sort of rough, but it will work.  Takes about 6 months to get back to strength, or more.  I've had both shoulders and both thumbs worked on, rotator cuff tears, etc.  Luckily, have not reinsured myself, but I am about 80%, which ain't bad for an old guy!  The repair work will be better than the pain of " putting up" with the injury
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 03:56:10 am »
Rob I don't know if it will work for you but about two and a half years ago I had right shoulder problems. They thought I'd need surgery but I had to try physical therapy first. Everyone told me it wouldn't work and was a waste of time. I had physical therapy for six weeks and my shoulder felt great. They also gave me exercises for my neck. I felt fifteen years younger and when my neck starts bothering me I do my exercises. It would be better if I just did them all the time but I'm only human.
I hope whatever route you go it's successful. My physical therapist said he was sure I had torn rotator but if I could get other muscles to take over they would strengthen and do the job. Good Luck Rob and like Zuma said, I have got you in my prayers.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 02:08:41 pm »
Best of luck to you, Rob.    I see surgery as the very last option but this is coming from someone that has never had major surgery.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 06:44:05 pm »
Rob, I have had some shoulder issues never surgery but have a torn bicep, I seemed as if it took forever to get my strength back, not sure of because of age or just that shoulders heal real slow, give it time and don't push to quickly . Bob

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 06:47:12 pm »
Good luck Rob.  Bad shoulders run in my family.  My Grandpa, Mom, and uncle (all on the same side of the family) all had at least one replaced.  With as much as I use mine splitting staves and using a draw knife I'd say my chances of having problems one day are pretty high.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 08:17:50 pm »
Clint how did the replacement workout  for them?
Thanks for the input guys I go back on Dec 18th to see the surgeon again.
BJ I did therapy when they would work my shoulder it would keep catching & they said they could feel it pop.
Pat I had major surgery a few times in the past 18 years both shoulders now they both need done again both hips replaced & hernia surgery. You would think I would find a different way to make a living but I guess it's in my blood.
Bob same here my right arm just don't have the strength in it like it should.
Hawk I'm thinking hard about it.
Zuma if I get my shoulder done you'll need to come up here this spring so we can hunt some arrowheads.
Thanks Don I'll have to give that a try.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 08:59:16 pm »
My Moms went good.  Not sure about my uncle.  I don't see him any more.  My grandpa passed away shortly after his surgery.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 03:52:54 am »
A good Friend of Mine has had both of His done twice. He worked at one of GM's Forge plants and did heavy lifting (medicaly retired) - after having both Shoulders done, He started Guiding River Stealhead/Salmon trips before having to them both done again after rowing a Driftboat for close to Ten Years  (A). Now He's having problems with one, but basically they can't/wont do another. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 05:01:40 am »
Sorry to hear that Rob, hope you find something that helps.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise