Author Topic: Bow mass and mass principle issues  (Read 1235 times)

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
Bow mass and mass principle issues
« on: November 02, 2017, 11:44:27 am »
Hi all,

I'm tillering a mollegabet-like bow stave from the thickest branch/stem of Littleleaf mock orange (Philadelphus microphyllus), aka Syringa, I could find. It's denser wood than what I'm used to.

Stave specs: 153 cm - 60.5", 1" setback, 3.7 cm / 1.5" wide. 25 cm / 10" stiff handle. Tips currently 8 mm wide, levers 23 cm long.
Target bow mass (50#, 27") is around 570 g, but I'm currently already down to 533 g, tillered to 50# at 20" (short string now).

Now of course, handle mass is the big unknown in this equation. If I use a stiff handle of only 7" (there might be a tiny bit of bending in the inner 2" of each limb near the fades), target mass is 506 g. I'm rather on track for that.

I'll brace her in a few scrapes.

Given that I'm very close to target mass already, should I lower my target draw weight?

thanks for your thoughts,
Joachim
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:07:09 pm by joachimM »

Offline Badger

Re: Bow mass and mass principle issues
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 12:58:48 pm »
    If the bow is not taking set I would keep on going, the suggested mass is not so much science as a rule of thumb to go by. Also the handle style makes a considerable difference. The stiff handle and fade is based on a bulbous osage style handle. As long as the bow is not taking set that should override everything else.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 02:54:59 pm »
Interesting thread, at your tips being only 8 mm wide I'm not sure if that's for the whole lever length & not knowing the thickness but it sounds like you lost a lot of mass in the leavers that being a good thing I have found that with Steve's chart in TBB that these leaver bows come in a little lighter mass wise then what was published , every body does it different but I try to get the mass in the ball park & save the leavers for last to shed mass , you could use Badgers no set tiller method if you wanted to ,take some of the guess work out a method he uses to keep a eye on set good luck keep us posted
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 02:58:42 pm »
   I do as Stickbender mentioned, if I start falling too low in mass I get very vigilant about the set and try to respond quickly to it by either finding more bending limb or lowering my expectations.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 03:45:37 pm »
nice :)